Best and worst experiences ordering live chicks?

😂😂😂

Thank you for the support and the helpful information regarding shipping policies!

I assumed feed stores got their chicks from large scale hatcheries, but didn’t know how few or really where they all were. Last year, I asked if they knew what they were getting and they gave me a spreadsheet of all their intended weekly orders. It was a nice reference sheet to consider the possibilities that might be available, but even that was inaccurate. For instance, there were 3 different breeds when I went, and they said the hatcheries just sun something else if they’re out of stock 😂 But, I got to see little codes in the spreadsheet and could tell which hatcheries they came from. (“J” for Jenks, “McM” for McMurray, etc). It was quite interesting!

Good luck with your journey! I’m definitely unsure on whether or not I will be special ordering or just going with whatever comes in this year. I get the feeling 2021 is going to be a “go with the flow” type of year, and that the correct path may just be whatever is least stressful 😂
Usually they will send substitutes instead of shorting an order. I ended up with both this year from one hatchery. Subs for two bantam Cornish variety (ended up with standard Cornish for one I think and Columbian Wyandotte bantams for the other) And a credit for the other breed they were short 😅

Thank you! I have never actually checked them out, but I will now 👍🏻 All mention of Ideal here has been good, so that’s encouraging!

And as to your offer for eggs: if I was your neighbor I’d surely take some of your backyard mixes! You have always been friendly and helpful. Good peeps raise good peeps 🤣 🐓
Oh oh, check out my chick thread for this year. All sorts of crazy things coming this year

I will absolutely do that! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got brewing over there!
Mostly angst, chaos, heartache and cute babies 😅 shipping stress and pasty butt have not been kind, and apparently sebright and naked neck bantams are super tiny. I think my celadon quail hatched bigger actually than these babies at 3~ days old

Mostly angst, chaos, heartache and cute babies 😅 shipping stress and pasty butt have not been kind, and apparently sebright and naked neck bantams are super tiny. I think my celadon quail hatched bigger actually than these babies at 3~ days old

Wow! Quite the rollercoaster!! They all look so sweet, I can’t wait to get mine this year... be it mail order, Farm supply store, or stork drop off 😂

Wow! Quite the rollercoaster!! They all look so sweet, I can’t wait to get mine this year... be it mail order, Farm supply store, or stork drop off 😂
I also recommend dunlap. While in the beginning I wasn't impressed with communication, I have changed my mind and will be ordering again (Mostly because I'm down to 3 bantam naked necks) but also they were the one store I did not mind calling up and I literally don't willingly call anyone if my life or job doesn't depend on it. They were friendly and I really think if shipping hadn't been delayed by a certain cellular device not telling me until after closing time that I had a call from the billings P.O. about my birds (they were sent to laurel since I hadn't called back before closing which meant an extra 18 hours almost in the box) that I wouldn't have had many losses at all

I also recommend dunlap. While in the beginning I wasn't impressed with communication, I have changed my mind and will be ordering again (Mostly because I'm down to 3 bantam naked necks) but also they were the one store I did not mind calling up and I literally don't willingly call anyone if my life or job doesn't depend on it. They were friendly and I really think if shipping hadn't been delayed by a certain cellular device not telling me until after closing time that I had a call from the billings P.O. about my birds (they were sent to laurel since I hadn't called back before closing which meant an extra 18 hours almost in the box) that I wouldn't have had many losses at all

Really good to know!

I’m going to be heading to my local stores on Monday to inquire about their ordering plans, breeds, and dates. I have three that I like that carry chicks, one main one that usually has a pretty good selection. Obviously they can’t guarantee what they’ll actually receive based on availability, but it’s nice to plan ahead!

You’re in MT, so you know the climate out here. I’d be worried that mailed chicks went to the post office Friday after hours or something... with my post office being closed on Saturdays, they’d likely have to sit there all weekend. I have my post masters personal number, but idk if she’s even allowed to go in outside of business hours to fulfill an order... even if it was for live animals

Really good to know!

I’m going to be heading to my local stores on Monday to inquire about their ordering plans, breeds, and dates. I have three that I like that carry chicks, one main one that usually has a pretty good selection. Obviously they can’t guarantee what they’ll actually receive based on availability, but it’s nice to plan ahead!

You’re in MT, so you know the climate out here. I’d be worried that mailed chicks went to the post office Friday after hours or something... with my post office being closed on Saturdays, they’d likely have to sit there all weekend. I have my post masters personal number, but idk if she’s even allowed to go in outside of business hours to fulfill an order... even if it was for live animals
Never hurts to ask if she can. Unfortunately most of our workers are new or something. Only call we've gotten about chicks (besides the one from billings) was to let us know we had a box of dead ones. They had missed a connection and thus were delivered on a suday, to be pickedup Monday. Not that I'm mad they called, if much rather be told point blank before arriving that the box isn't alive anymore.

Never hurts to ask if she can. Unfortunately most of our workers are new or something. Only call we've gotten about chicks (besides the one from billings) was to let us know we had a box of dead ones. They had missed a connection and thus were delivered on a suday, to be pickedup Monday. Not that I'm mad they called, if much rather be told point blank before arriving that the box isn't alive anymore.

I will definitely ask her when I head to pick up our mail on Monday. She’s so sweet and it’s certainly a small enough town that she may just bend the rules a little. Especially if I bring her some eggs 😁

We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom