Best and worst winter laying breeds?

Here are the breeds that are still laying for me in the freezing cold up here
  • Sussex (Light and Speckled)
  • Plymouth Barred Rock
  • Black Sex-link
  • White Leghorn (this is my best of all, she is laying an egg per day non-stop since spring)
  • Legbar (although she took a break in the last week)

Now the bad, all of them haven't given my any eggs in more than 3 months
  • Jubilee Orpington
  • Ameraucana
  • Olive Egger (unkonwn parents)
Update time. All of the above resumed laying. Orpington and Olive egger is one egg every other day. From the 2 Ameraucanas, I get about 5 eggs per week.

The others are still laying consistently, with the Leghorn not skipping a single day.

I give my girls a small square bail of 100% alfalfa in their run that I simply remove the bailing twine. They eat some, scatter some. The yolk is still orangy even in winter.

Depending on the weather/time of year/sunlight:

Our Good Layers, No Matter What: Black Star, Brown ISA, Cinnamon Queen, Buff Orpington, Blue Australorp/Orpington

Our Okay Layers: Easter Eggers, Cuckoo Marans

Our Infrequent Layers: Colombian Wyandotte, Sumatran, Creamy Legbar, Cookies and Cream

I have lights on my hens, and they are young so I have been getting eggs all winter. But years I didn't use light, I had one Leghorn still laying, one Blue andelusian still laying and one Blue Isbar that was still laying.
I dont supplemental heating or lighting. I will use supplemental heating if it drops below 20 degrees and if i dont have straw in the coop.

I have a Austrolorp right now who molted and still is laying, shr only took off egg laying for about 1 week. Then i have a buff orpington i think shes laying although she is hiding all her eggs, she molted to. Then i have a cinnamon queen and light brahma who are still laying and they both molted. And my SLW is going through a very hard molt so she hasnt started laying yet. Although my brahma last year didnt lay all year i think it depends on were you live and what they are fed. I have been giving scratch grains this year i didnt last year.
Are you using a supplement with the scratch grains?

Are you using a supplement with the scratch grains?
I switched to all flock actually. But i was using layer feed with scratch grains and calcium supplements. I also was adding fruits, and veggies weekly. Now im doing all flock with scratch grains, calcium supplement(they always have access to it), then corn and fruit, veggies, and oats( that dont take up more than 10 percent of their diet).

Back
Top Bottom