Best animals to have in a garden?

I've decided that if I ever get ducks, it would be Muscovy. That or Campbell. Maybe both. Just shoot me now for having such thoughts. Some thoughts best not confessed in front of hubby.

six Campbell duckings currently brooding...my wife and your husband could probably start a support group.

While I'm keen to have the duck eggs for homemade noodles, the primary factor in procuring them is to have them patrol the garden during the summer.

It'll be arranged such that the berries and lettuce will be off-limits to them, so they'll be monitoring the sweet potatoes, peppers, corn, melons, beans, peas, squash.

It's nearly 1500 sq feet they'll be tending, I'm curious to see how this goes.

As the garden is harvested, the plan is for feeder hog(s) to come in behind the ducks and root/till.

Once the hogs leave in early October, the ducks and chickens will both be overwintered on the garden to "fine till" the area.

A grand experiment...

I've used the poultry E-net. It works quite well, except the chicks kept squirting through it. Then, I had to stop using it b/c they would fly over it, and I had heavy hawk predation. May try a different configuration this year, with a bird net over the E-net.

Back
Top Bottom