Best backyard duck breed?

I read someone on here only kept all drake calls. The boys are the prettiest anyway so this could be a way to have calls. You can also pick up call drakes fairly cheaply on craigslist. People want to get rid of their extra drakes.

I read someone on here only kept all drake calls. The boys are the prettiest anyway so this could be a way to have calls. You can also pick up call drakes fairly cheaply on craigslist. People want to get rid of their extra drakes.

Nah, their all pretty!
tongue.png
But yes, someone could keep a bachelor flock if they needed quiet.

Some people need the females if they are breeding raising and selling them... Like me :)

Last edited:
I think this really depends on what you're looking for in your backyard duck. If you're looking for lots of eggs, quiet and good personality then a Muscovy is perfect, although not everyone is a fan of the signature red. Runner ducks are good layers too but the females can be very noisy. Cayugas are pretty quiet and well behaved, but they only lay around 100-150 eggs a year and tend to be very skittish / not as docile. For ducks with dog-like, friendly and outgoing personalities, go with a Pekin or Call duck..if you have noise restrictions, choose male over female.

A winning combination to maximize potential of eggs and minimize nuisance to neighbors would be a muscovy female (for eggs), a male call or Pekin for beauty and personality.

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath."
~Raptoria~
http://www.backyardduck.com

Best Family Pet- Pekin Ducks are probably the best choice for a family pet.
My backyard Pekins are social and interact with us.
My pekins do make a good deal of noise however when their excited.

Best Egg Layer- Khaki Campells are exceptional egg layers, they can lay an average of 320 eggs a year! Also, Khaki Campells are gentle, quite, and can be handled. However, there are some cases with Khaki Campbells flying, so keep that in mind. Khaki Campells are the best choice if you want a lot of eggs and simultaneously interact with your ducks.

Best Egg Hatcher- Cayuga Ducks are known to be good at sitting on their eggs and hatching them. Also, Cayuga Ducks tend to stay close to home, and Cayuga's are quiet as well. So Cayuga ducks are a good choice if you want to see some naturally hatched ducklings and a quiet, unique duck. Welsh Harlequin Ducks are also good at hatching their own eggs, and they are beautiful too. Welsh Harlequin Ducks are also calm.

Sources: www.petduckcare.info/
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom