Best bator for under $75?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by augustmomx2, Apr 29, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have successfully talked my dh into letting me hatch chickens next Spring [​IMG] In my sick & twisted way of making sure he doesn't change his mind, I'm thinking about buying my bator soon. So if he trys to go back on his decision...oops! Too late, I already bought the bator [​IMG]

I need to keep the price down though. I just want to hatch a few for some banties & to have my son witness the "miracle of life" if you will.

In your opinion what is the best bator for under $75? Where did you purchase yours? Is there a time of year, that they go on sale/clearance, or are they pretty much the same price all year long? Any info will be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. candyfloss

candyfloss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Wrentham
    would love tp know this too

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    For a $75 budget - you could get a used Hovabator or Top Hatch from ebay or craigslist. If you buy new you could probably find a Hovabator 1602. I'd stay away from a Little Giant.

4. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I bought a Little Giant this past weekend at Tractor Supply for 41.00. I'm sure there are better one's out there but for the price...hard to beat. Good luck with your hatching! [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Little Giants are impossible to regulate. Not worth your time or money.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:There is not much choice in this price range.

Little Giant (LG) and GQF Hovabator, price about same, both styrofoam, both hard to maintain steady temperature in, and difficult to clean.

If you use one of those it is advisable to have a separate easy to clean and disinfect hatcher to switch eggs at day 18 or so.

Hovabator seems to have a little less problems than LG.

LG was my first bator, some people swear by it, but most hate it, there is a lot of threads on this forum about incubators.

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I have bought a hova bator 2362N. I haven't had trouble yet to maintain temp or humidity. i am still new to this tho. I paid 80 and got also bought the egg turner.

8. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Make your own with a plastic cooler! I made one and the temps stay right at 100, humidity stays steady, and I'm really happy with it. It was simple to make and cost very little. I had to buy a cooler since I couldn't find one, a water heater thermostat, and a bottle lamp kit. That was it.

The tutorial is here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510&p=1

9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Wooo, that is quite tempting. I'm pretty frugal, so making my own is much more my style. I (&dh) may have to give this a try...Thanks for the info [​IMG]

10. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I've got an incubator full of eggs that may be going wacky. I am making an incubator but it is not finished, and I'm afraid this one is going to quit or something.
    My options are to buy the only incubator in the area from TSC which is a still air LG, or to keep trying to regulate the one I have (HB still air) and hope it's not too late. I also have a fan that can be put in the bator if necessary.
    This thing is driving me nuts! I am using 4 different thermometers which are going from 96 to 104 and I can't seem to get consistency.
    Do you think it's too late to save my eggs? I set turkey eggs day before yesterday and already had chicken eggs at day 8.
    I also have more eggs on the way.

Please advise.............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by