Best Bedding for a Brooder

sowellj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
What type of bedding is best for a duck brooder? Chicken? Can you use newspaper?

Do not use newspaper. It is slippery and the chicks could possibly get spradle leg. I use the most course wood shavings I can find, and have had no problems. Some people put paper towels on top of the shavings to prevent the chicks from eating shavings. I don't do that. I put them right on the shavings after coming out of the bator.

The reason some people don't use shavings is because some have had ducklings choke on it. I assume the risk is small though. My 2 favorite bedding materials are playsand and or the puppy pee pads. At the moment I am using the puppy pee pads. I buy them from the dollar store for like 5 for a dollar and change it every other day(with chicks) ducks are much messier and I change them every day. I find it makes clean up a breeze. Fold it on top of its self and toss it. Plus its very absorbent and thats wonderful for messy little ducks.

I've tried all different kinds of bedding. Those are the 2 I find that help cut down on smell and make clean up the easiest. ( I use an old spoon to scoop out the poopy sand, when I use that)

Back
Top Bottom