best bedding for ducks

Once ducks are fully feathered, they absolutely do not need any sort of heat source. Given the opportunity, they will not even seek shelter. I have seen them plenty of times choose to sleep outside in the middle of a blizzard when they have every opportunity to be inside a warm cozy area. Anything like heated beds or hot water bottles is completely unnecessary and will only lead to further mess to clean up. If you are not housing the birds on wire floors like in raised cages, my favorite run substrate is sand over pea gravel. It is so much easier to keep clean than anything else I have ever tried.

You should have a duck house for them in case they do want to go inside and especially if your run is not predator proof. Inside the houses, my favorite thing to use is plain 'ole straw. If not stray, hay can work well too. On occasion, we use woodchips too.

My ducks are outside on a door floor. I lay straw down in the corner. I just rake up the mess every morning. They have the entire yard to use during the day.

I couldn't imagine buying a bed for the ducks...

Back
Top Bottom