Best bedding for my chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by claireree, Jul 12, 2010.

1. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    I live in spain and have 5 chickens and 2 ducks in a run on my terrace, I am wanting to know what is the bedding for them. I keep getting different answers when I speak to people so wanted your advice. Currently they are on straw in their run and in their house they have a mix of straw and shavings.

My ducklings are only a few weeks old so they are in a little pen within the chicken pen and they are on shaving and straw mix but it does need cleaning out more due to them splashing water everywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated a tend to clean them out once a week and the house every couple of weeks.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I find that deep pine shavings works best for me. It keeps things drier, which helps keep the smell down. Also, straw and hay tends to mold fast, so the shavings are healthier for the birds. [​IMG]

3. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    In use shavings in the house but threw in a bunch of yard clippings in the run.... they seem to have enjoyed that. I plan to rake out what they don't eat in a day or so.... just in time for fresh grass. I don't use anything on the lawn otherwise I would not use it (no chemicals).

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i use pine shavings and they work great. ive got a a very messy goose in my coop with my hens and when i was using straw it got wet and smelly but the shavings are odorless and very clean

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Straw gets pretty heavy when it gets wet, though it's nice in the winter for insulation if you use a deep-litter method (I'm not sure how cold it gets where you live in Spain).

For warm weather and ease of weekly cleaning, I would go with shavings.

6. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    ok have been out and got some shaving and cleaned the pen out and put down shavings instead, they seem to prefer it all laying in it, will stick to shavings but maybe put some straw down during the winter.

How does this deep litter method work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by