Best bedding if any for run

Perfect!! Thank you!! It really would be so much easier and cost effective to not have the wire covering the entire flooring of the new run.
It would look something like this...
Outdoor Run 005.jpg
Outdoor Run 007.jpg

I used quarter-inch hardware cloth around the perimeter. There will also be some planter beds for veggies for additional coverage. The entire top and sides will also be covered, except for my chicken observation deck...and those interior base boards in the run will be covered with deep bedding so as not to trip while walking through.
Outdoor Run 008.jpg

I use sand, but lemme tell you, you gotta rake out the poo if you do, or you'll be sorry when it gets warm and wet. The smell will knock you over. Sand takes some maintenence, as it becomes a packed down dirt floor after awhile of being left alone. I don't mind the maintenence, and I like that my girls stay nice and clean and their nails and feet stay exfoliated. It drains pretty well, so we don't get a muddy run unless I've neglected it. I've also have yet to have issues with mites, I think the sand might help with that too. I dig up the run every 6 mo. and amend the sand yearly. In winter, I'll throw pine shavings over the sand so they aren't having to stand on icy cold sand.
I do have sand in my run (no coop yet), but I'm gonna use an electric hand-held rototiller and turn everything under, then add a variety of suitable deep bedding. It's been in the box for three years and hopefully still works. It's supposed to dig 6 inches deep and 6 inches wide.
Rototiller-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom