best bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    right now in my coop ive been using some left over straw im almost out and i will need to buy some new bedding.
    which bedding would you use? i have chicks but when they get older should i use cedar to stop bugs?
    ive heard that its good to put down pine shavings and straw over that. is this true?

2. defenestra

defenestra Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I have heard cedar shavings are bed for birds- gives them respiratory problems. I'd go with pine.

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hi,
    I have pine shavings and hay, its lovely and solt and keeps them warm. [​IMG]

4. Lynn in Texas

Lynn in Texas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi ya'll - I'm using pine shavings and the deep bed system - have been VERY satisfied with it and so have the chickens. Be sure to ask for the large fluffy shavings and not the ones that look like sawdust - most feed stores (at least in Texas) stock both kinds.

5. baw4000

baw4000 New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    You shouldnt use and kind of wood dust because it causes respitory problems. i use bed shaving just like you would use in a rabbit or hamster cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by