Best beginner bator $200 or less?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lonomakana, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Hi Folks. I'm having trouble getting my tabletops to sit on eggs so I'm resorting to incubating. I only have two of these hens so far, so I don't need a high capacity machine. I've seen Brinsea Eco 20 w/auto turner for $225 (shipping included). Are there other incubators better or the same for less money?

I'm a beginner at this so it needs to be fairly simple. I'm in Hawaii so its pretty humid here with consistent temps from 60-80 (night-day). Thanks for the help.

2. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    folks were getting those brinsea's for 150 last week, don't know the shipping?,
    that or genesis 1588 , the brinsea is hard plastic and the 1588 is foam, eco 20 holds 20-24 i think, and a 1588 with turner 42,

sorry that price was for one week only [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Brinesea if its still on sale it was 99 and shipping was like 40 bucks , its easy not to get a turner with it as its easy to turn by moveing the bator.
    Hovabator genisis would be my second choice though Id really want to go with the brinesea if it was me. Good luck

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I think in my opinion is the hovabator genesis 1588. You can get it with a turner for around 160.00. It self regulates itself and keeps a constandt temp of 99.5 degrees. I'm sure brinsea is good, but never had one. The genesis has always given me great hatches.

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I love the Brinsea. Whatever hatch issues I have wont' be caused by the incubator.
    With turner and shipping it will be a little over your described budget I believe.
    Was worth it to me because its dishwasher safe, plastic instead of stryofoam (will last) and rock solid on temp. I've had no flucuations (99.5 to 99.7).
    Genesis 1588 was recommended to me with much confidence by folks here when I was shopping. It holds more eggs than Brinsea 20's (which holds 24 chicken eggs)
    Hope that helps

There is another thread on this recommending the Genesis 1588 and someone who sells them is offering a small discount to BYC members
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81103

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  6. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I have an LG and a Brinsea Octogon ECO 20 on the way.
    I was looking at getting the Hovabator genesis, but went with the Brinsea because I know how hard it can be to get a styrofoam bator clean. If you don't buy the turner with the genesis, you'll have to open the bator to turn the eggs, which will cause a slight temp drop. When using the Octogon eco 20 the eggs can be turned without even opening the incubator. But the genesis will hold more eggs than the brinsea.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I love my Hovabator Genesis 1588. I bought mine from Cutler supply , with an egg turner, for less than $200 including shipping

Quote:

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Brinsea rocks, stable, durable heavy molded plastic, hold the temp like a rock, easy to clean and 2 years warranty.

Can be used with outside turner, or turned manually WITHOUT opening the bator.

How your styrobator compares?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    After hatching a couple of batches with the 4H using a Hova bator we were sold on using it. We purchased a 1583 and turn the eggs manually. The cost for the incubator was only $98. They have a turner available for an additional $46. We have had very high hatch rates using it and have not experienced problems with Humidity that many people using Little Giant types have. The 1583 has a large window and forced air circulation. The total of the parts should leave plenty of room for shipping charges.
    We found the best price at http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=34 .[​IMG]
    There was someone comparing the ease of use between the HovaBator and an LG somewhere on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by