Best brand of food for a mixed flock

heopdyke

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
My flock is mixed. I have one rooster, 3 hens that are layers, a polish hen, and a silkie hen ( silkie and polish currently aren’t laying yet). I have read you can feed grower food for the rest of their lives and just supplement oyster shells for the layers. So currently that is what I am doing but I want to make sure that my layers will get enough calcium in their diets with out my rooster, silkie and polish getting to much calcium. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
Hillary

The layers know when and how much to oyster shell to eat to get the right amount of calcium, and the roosters don't care about it. So you're good.

Flock Raiser (All Flock) seem to be what folks use with oyster shell and grit on the side, as that's what I plan on going to when I finish off my last 30 lbs of starter/grower feed.

I have read you can feed grower food for the rest of their lives and just supplement oyster shells for the layers. So currently that is what I am doing but I want to make sure that my layers will get enough calcium in their diets
I like a feed with 18% to 20% Protein.
I'm currently feeding a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% with Oyster Shells separately to my 5 pullets 17 weeks, (got my first egg yesterday), and 3 hens 2 years old, they've never had a Layers feed.
Eggs collected yesterday, 20200828_073207_resized.jpg . Bottom egg is from pullet. GC

Back
Top Bottom