Best brands of Chicken Starter Feed?

SilkieSilkie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
I've been raising my four Silkie Chick since day one of hatching, and I was given a Silkie this past weekend that is 1.5 months old. It's huge. I kept saying to myself, my four Silkie Chick which are less than three weeks old will never be this big at 1.5 months old.

For my four Silkie Chick, I've kept them indoor in a Brooder. There is Hamster Pet Wood Shavings that is used for bedding, bought from Walmart. They are fed on Chicken Starter as their food. Water is accessible daily and a Poultry Heat Lamp is used at night til morning.

I started looking at the Starter feed that I have and it's says Swanson Farm's Natural. No Additives, No Medications, No Hormones.

Wondering if anyone have been using this brand of Starter feed? Seems like my Silkie should be bigger than what they are currently. It's my first time raising Chickens so I didn't know how fast they are suppose to grow until I had a older Silkie to compare it to.

With that in mind, I've determined it's the Starter feed causing them not to grow so much?

What are the top five best brand of starter feed that I can switch to?

You will be surprised how fast they grow. They change so fast overnight some days. Keep them on starter. I use MG and have been happy. Producers and Dumor are my go to if MG isn't available

.I started looking at the Starter feed that I have and it's says Swanson Farm's Natural. No Additives, No Medications, No Hormones.

What are the top five best brand of starter feed that I can switch to?
The term, "No Hormones" and sometimes the term, "No Additives" are sales gimmicks to make the consumer think that particular feed is "better" than another brand.

As for the top 5 brands of chick starter, a lot of people will like one brand over another for one reason or another but for me a good chicken feed weather it be a starter, grower, layer, breeder etc. must have animal proteins in it.

My top list would have to be only 3 --
1- Mazuri Game Bird Starter
2- Purina Game Bird Starter
3- Buckeye Chick Starter

I know that the are other feed mfg. that use animal proteins but this is what I can get in my area.

After I posted this subject of mines, I was browsing feeding stores for live animals in my town and found out there's a Tractor Supply Company nearby. Never knew there was one here in town! So I quickly drove 6 miles there before they close and to my surprised they carried alot of chicken food!!! It was heaven to me because I didn't know this!
smile.png

Before I was using this, not sure what the percentage it gives.

Not knowing what to buy, I looked at every single on they carried! Spent about a good hour there deciding and I purchased the DUMOR Chick Starter/Grower 50lbs bag for $18.49.

It has the followings

Protein - 20%
Fiber - 4.50%
Fat - 2.50%
Calcium - 1.20%

I also was reading the other feeds as well and stumble upon a UltraKibble for Chicks Supplement. For kicks, I just purchased it since it was fairly cheap. It's used as a ratio mixed with other feeds I believe. It may have too much Protein and Fat for my current chicks so I'll probably save it for later on. I'm looking at purchase different kind of chicks beside Silkie. Right now I only have 5 Silkie Chick. This feed mixture will probably be for those future chicks for fattening them up.

Protein - 32.25%
Fat - 10.67%
Fiber - 7.30%
Calcium - 1.21%

For now, I bought those above two as far as feed goes. I did see the Purina Star & Grow Feed. I will try that brand another time when I again having baby chick down the line. Both are easily accessible.

Back
Top Bottom