1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Breed for 3rd Graders to Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cheeptrick, Oct 19, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Hi....
    My daughter's 3rd grade teacher asked to borrow my incubator and hatching eggs for lessons in class next March. I was MORE than happy to let someone else worry and fuss!! (I'll still worry and fuss!!) My plan is to SELL the class's hard work at one of our chickenstocks here in NH. Please tell me which breeds I should focus on for easy hatching and quick SELLING!! I would like to FILL the Little Giant Incubator...2-3 breeds at least. I would LOVE true rumpless araucana and maybe silkies. Her teacher says she has hatched before...so should I risk special breeds?

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Buff orpingtons would be my guess. Thety are so sweet and docile. They also come in bantam or standard sizes [​IMG]

I also love silkies and have good hatch rates with that breed and BO's

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Barred rocks are fun and full so of life... I think they would please kids... or a black sex link.

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would say Barred Rocks. They are quite the funny things, and their hatch rate has been the best of the different breeds I have hatched.

5. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...that is 'exactly' what I wanted. GOOD hatch rates....

So far....

Barred Rocks
    Silkies

I think EE's will be the third....since I've already got these and getting fertilized eggs will be FREE!!

Are araucana's an easy hatch?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd go for the tried and true to sell wise, just standard layers. Reason being, no matter how much experience one can have hatching eggs, in a class room setting, there are usually 20-40 excited students who just might bump that bator at the wrong time, janitors and other maintenance who might accidentally unplug the machine, and schools who do shut off heat for nights/weekends which can be a problem for some bators.

7. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hey thanks....that is good advice....I'll check on the heat....but I'm pretty sure since we live in NH if they turned off the heat the pipes would burst here in NH. We have a pretty small school...so I'll threaten the janitors with their lives if they touch the bator! I think she was planning on putting the bator in the book closet in her class room. LESS drafts.

Any other hints I should know to pass on to teacher?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by