Best breed for city

Wrenna

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
Hello! I'm brand new to chickens, just finished my hen house with the help of all the great designs here, and am now ready to select a few breeds. I am looking for egg layers with the right temperment for my backyard in the city. I have neighbours very close, so don't want to disturb them! I also have two dogs, so would like breeds that won't be easily scared. I live in Victoria BC, where the winters are quite mild (as are the summers). I will add supplementary heat if necessary. I would like medium to high egg production, but think for now the most important consideration is an easy breed (or breeds) to work with. Any advice? So far my research points me to Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, and Orpingtins. Thanks in advance for your help!

i live in montana and am also located in town with very close neighbors. i have a total of 6 hens: 2 golden comets and 4 barred rocks. they each give me 5-6 eggs/week right now, and just began laying. i did quite a bit of research on these breeds before we purchased, and they are supposed to do well in the winters and be pretty productive layers. they are also very friendly birds- my kids run up and pet them or pick them up all the time. i hope that's helpful.
oh and welcome!!
sarah

Plymouth Rocks and Orpington are relatively quiet. My stars (sex-links) and Rhode Island Reds are/were noisy egg layers. Both have docile temper though I think the Rocks are more adventurous. Both good layers though the Orpington gives a bigger egg. Can't go wrong with either and both have a wide variety of colors.

My bar rock is very friendly towatd us, but she is the ONLY bird that stands up to the dog...so if she's true to type you wouldn't have to worry about them stressing over your pups. She is vocal, but not loud.

Great advice, thanks so much! Going to look around and see if I can acquire some bar/barred rocks!

Back
Top Bottom