Best breed of quail for a neighborhood?

Hey I live in the U.K. So we don't have homeowners associations here sorry we can do what we like here

We have council regs for poultry, horses and dogs and cats. However, there is a condition that you keep all animal housing clean and the animals safe from predators. So frequent bedding changes and adequate space requirements are a must. Your neighbors can still report the smell. The smell and food attract vermin so vermin control measures should be in place.

I wish I didn't live in a neighborhood that has an hoa!

I find that moving is always a good option when I can't have what I want
1f606.png

Hello
My wife and I are on our first hatching of quail.
I have read hours on the internet and was wondering on the size of my chicks, if they are large enough to be classified as jumbo browns

Here is the 14 day weigh in

To,orrow will be 21 day and the large hen from the video above weighed in at 169 grams tonight at 20 days.
will make video tomorrow and post it again.

Thanks

I have never seen such quiet quail. It was also nice to see how gentle your wife was with the birds.

That aside. I think you may need to wait till they are about 5 weeks to determine the size. You have so much variation in weight and that should even out a bit.

Myself and my daughters hatched our first batch on Christmas day. We had a male that was much bigger than every other bird. He was still not as big as our jumbo girl who is 385gm. The boys are meant to weigh less.

After saying this, our government standards for Coturnix Japonica quail, is much lower than all my birds weigh.

Help anyone
We went to an auction last weekend and ended up buying these quail there was no name or what type they were and was wondering if anyone could help my wife to identify them.
The two with the darker brown around the eyes are the roo's and the other 4 are hens.
s

Thanks for any info you all could give us.

If you look at the sticky at the top of the forum it shows you pics of all colour variations they look like mine (look at my pics ) Italian colouring and yes looks like 2 Roos but with so little girls I think you will need to swap one boy or move him out. As I have 1 boy and 6 hens and they have plenty of room and hiding places but I'm having some issues with him pestering the girls

If you happen to live with an oppressive HOA, keep your birds out of sight. If you get some blue hairs making a stink about them, they're "pets" you see? Not livestock. They're pets that just happen to lay eggs that you eat.

Back
Top Bottom