Best breed to attack hawks

I don’t know of any breed that can or will fight off a hawk. But, my neighbor allows his hens and rooster to free range along the side of the road and in large farm fields and he doesn’t lose any birds! We live less than 1/8 mile away and hawks have killed off several of our birds over the years. When I asked him what he does he told me to buy several black hens. Hawks think they are crows and stay away. Crows torment hawks! So, this spring I’m investing in 6 black hens. Good luck!
Hawks killed two of my black hens within two weeks of getting them. Year old birds so they were good sized.

I have a friend that claims his fake garden owl keeps the hawks away. I have not tried it, but he says it has worked for him for several years. He has the kind with a wobbly head on it.

Im so mad i hate hawks so much they keep killing my birds ive lost 3 roosters and a whole flock of ducks. What breed is strong enough to fight predators but not attack the flock, like aggresive but also not
Your frustration is totally understandable here. I’m sorry that you’ve had to experience such a loss.
We have many red tails around and even a golden eagle on rare occasion. The coop sits on the lowest level of our hillside property, house is on the highest level. So I worry about predators when we’re not in yard.
We got one of those wavy men and keep it on while the flock forage in the yard. I believe it works as they’re out every day and no attacks. This is our first year with chickens so I hope our luck continues. We also have many coyotes around that could jump the fence. Not certain but I think it’s been a deterrent for them as well.
Our rooster would likely not fare well in fight with a hawk. Coward only goes after my 4 year old grandson not adults. He now gets locked up when kiddos are visiting. It’s either that or rehomed.
Good luck 🙏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_6827.jpeg
    IMG_6827.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 1
Stick a couple of those inflatable wacky waving tube guys out there.
I've heard stories but I'm curious if they really do any good. And if they don't they're still fun to look at.
We believe our inflatable tube guy totally works. It gets moved around the yard every several days as I hear hawks are smart. Purchased a used one and saved a little money.

Attachments

• IMG_6826.jpeg
    IMG_6826.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Your frustration is totally understandable here. I’m sorry that you’ve had to experience such a loss.
We have many red tails around and even a golden eagle on rare occasion. The coop sits on the lowest level of our hillside property, house is on the highest level. So I worry about predators when we’re not in yard.
We got one of those wavy men and keep it on while the flock forage in the yard. I believe it works as they’re out every day and no attacks. This is our first year with chickens so I hope our luck continues. We also have many coyotes around that could jump the fence. Not certain but I think it’s been a deterrent for them as well.
Our rooster would likely not fare well in fight with a hawk. Coward only goes after my 4 year old grandson not adults. He now gets locked up when kiddos are visiting. It’s either that or rehomed.
Good luck 🙏🏻
I’ve also seriously considered buying colorful party flags for another part of the yard. I’d get a bunch and have them intersect.

Attachments

• IMG_6828.jpeg
    IMG_6828.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 1
When we had Meat Goats (250+ Spanish/Savanna cross) we used a Livestock Guardian dog. They were a Great Pyrenees/Anatolia cross. They protected the adult goats and 300+ kids from predators on the land or in the air. A LG might help you.
The fishing line stretched over the chicken area that was suggested is a very good idea too. You could attach orange ribbons on it so all the birds could see it. The fishing line is inexpensive and you don’t have to feed it.

Im so mad i hate hawks so much they keep killing my birds ive lost 3 roosters and a whole flock of ducks. What breed is strong enough to fight predators but not attack the flock, like aggresive but also not
That is a great chicken pen! I Used to have a half acre pen and I did lose some birds to hawks. ( It is illegal to shoot any migratory bird in the US and Canada). I agree with your opinion of that. I made my pen smaller, they really don't need all that space, mine is now 1/4 of an acre and the birds are very happy. What I did to protect them is string 30 or 40 lb test fishing line all over, back and forth, kind of like a giant spider web over the top of the pen up as high as you can reach. Make it as tight as you are willing to keep adding fishing line. My gaps are about 1 to 2 feet. Lots of work but affordable and while it doesn't keep hawks or owls out it does deter them when they dive. The flash of the sunlight does distract them long enough for the chickens to get to safety. You need to put shrubs or bushes or low artifcial structures around the yard so they can run and hide underneath. Last year I also added bird scare tape (Amazon) which is also a good deterrent. The fishing line spiderweb does work because I actually saw a hawk dive at my birds and veered off at the last second when it saw the line and skimmed right across the top, then flew away. certainly worth a try.

Sorry you've had significant losses. I'll ditto adding some 'chicken huts' for your flock, spaced around the open area. I use wooden pallets (you can get them free) and either make an A-frame that sits on the ground, or make a square tunnel (one pallet for the roof, two for the walls). I also cover mine with either shadecloth (Home Depot) or old porch screen (synthetic, not the wire type). Do they look ugly? YES, but we're in the country on acreage so no one sees them but me and my girls ;) Chicken huts provide shade in summer and hiding places when chickens are going from Point A to Point B across open ground.

Back
Top Bottom