Best breed to attack hawks

So far, hawks have ignored my birds, probably because they're all large breeds. They fly over, look, and fly away.

With that being said, hawks love to chase, and they love wide open spaces where the prey has nowhere to run.

Chickens are prey animals and will instinctively seek out shelter. Trees, bushes, even platforms up on blocks will give your birds places to run to.

There are breeds that are known as hawk killers. Buckeyes I believe is one, and Jersey Giant another. But many of those insticts are being bred out. It may be just as important to have an alert flock master that sounds the alarm.

My Biel boy was not a hawk killer (that I know of) but he was perfect with other predators. The time a dog attacked the flock he played wounded bird and led the dog away from the hens.

Last edited:
We have several kinds of hawks around where I am. And lots of crows. Don't believe the old wives tale that crows deter hawks completely, crows will chase hawks and alert you to there being a hawk around but it won't keep them from coming after your chickens. When my chickens hear the crows now they run for the bushes.
I used two lawn umbrellas and strung lines with cheap plastic disposable cups and old cd's hanging off of them above my garden because sometimes I'll put the chickens in the fenced in garden area when I'm doing work outside and can't watch them closely.
Like others suggested give the chickens cover and put up deterrents. I've had hawks swoop by when I was out walking my chickens in the open yard but they've never bothered them in the garden.

I asked my mom and she wanted to know how close you are, and the price of your rooster :) we are located in gloucester virginia, if your not close is animal shipping availiable ive seen some people do that
I'm in Michigan.
No, unfortunately I can't ship.

I am offering $300 for him.

Im sorry but i cant take your offer:(:(, i live all the way in virginia and thats a pretty long drive, thank you though he is a very handsome chicken:jumpy
Post on your state thread that you’re looking for a rooster, I’m sure you’ll be able to find one! If not here, try FB or Craig’s List.

I see you have a pretty big open area there.
I wonder if you have considered having Guineas?
My guineas loudly alarm at anything that is new or startling, including hawks. They alarm at the eagles that are circling WAY UP! Eagles here dont bother chickens but the guineas still dont like or trust them.
All the chickens run for cover when the guineas alarm, and that's part of your problem, there is no cover to go to.
No chicken will likely fight off a hawk if any size.
Do your chickens actually need all that space? Consider making a smaller area that can be covered.
Sorry for your losses.
Everything, and I mean everything eats chicken, and they are totally dependent on us to protect them as there natural defenses are little to none.

I've had a bunch of Black Copper/Wheaten Marans roosters that are very good at detecting when hawks are out and about. Never have lost any with my old rooster, but if you really want to make sure hawks aren't a problem I would suggest a guardian dog. I've had great luck w/ Australian Cattle Dogs if you are looking for an alternative to a flighty breed etc.

Best of luck!

I see you have a pretty big open area there.
I wonder if you have considered having Guineas?
My guineas loudly alarm at anything that is new or startling, including hawks. They alarm at the eagles that are circling WAY UP! Eagles here dont bother chickens but the guineas still dont like or trust them.
All the chickens run for cover when the guineas alarm, and that's part of your problem, there is no cover to go to.
No chicken will likely fight off a hawk if any size.
Do your chickens actually need all that space? Consider making a smaller area that can be covered.
Sorry for your losses.
Everything, and I mean everything eats chicken, and they are totally dependent on us to protect them as there natural defenses are little to none.
My chickens have a lot of hiding places, they just arent shown. I did have a few guinea chicks but they all passed randomly, im going to a chicken swap in march so ill definetly look for guineas, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom