Best Breeds for Beginners?

BayGoose

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
PA
I've raised and hatched all kinds of domestic waterfowl. I'd like to try something different and interesting. I'm looking for ornamental/exotic waterfowl. Which breeds are easier to start with and don't require permits? I'd like to start off with a pair of ducks. I was looking into some cinnamon teal or marbled teal maybe? I have a large, empty aviary that's all ready for some cool birds
smile.png
I'm tired of domestics lol. I'd also want a breed that won't be too hard find come fall.

If you are just getting into them and don't want to hassle with getting a permit go with something that is not on the Migratory birds list.

Mandarins, Marbled teal, white face tree ducks, ring teal.

It all depends on how much space you have and what you like.

I had some wood ducks years ago. I think I'll start out with marbled and ring teal. I've always wanted marbled teals. I'll have to be on the lookout for pairs! Are teals relatively quiet? My neighbor hates my animals even though he moved to the countryside
roll.png
. He can't stand my relatively quiet, lazy geese and my peafowl pair because of their noise...

The ring teal amke a noise like a cat.. They are really cool!! I don;t t hink the marbled made alot of noise or they are the ones I don;t notice if they do. Tree ducks are teh wrose about making noise.

When you are ready let me know! I have both and will have pairs this fall for shipping.

Yes, I'd definitely like some! Very interested in a marbled teal pair. And I'll see if my husband allows me to get a ring teal pair as well haha

Back
Top Bottom