Best Breeds to Use in Shows

happyhen101

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
I've been thinking about entering one or two chickens in shows, but I don't know which breeds to choose. I may do this long-term, so someone who gives me answers could really help me. Could someone help me decide?

PS: I'm little (try to choose a breed that would be more fit to be taken care of and be trained by a little person).
tongue.png

Go to the Chicken Breeds forum and read through the posts. Also go to a show in your area. Pick a breed that you like and find attractive. There is such a wide variety of chickens that something is bound to suit you.

Hi, silkies are not large and are amazingly gougeous, just make sure if you get some that they have five toes. Four toes is pretty much out straight away.

DON'T get orpingtons! We did thinking that they would be good, now we know just how huge they become...giant.

There is no "best" breed to use to show. If there were, the need for all of the other breeds would be obsolete. Think about it.
The "best" breed first of all is what you like. You have to look at them at home a lot more than you'll be showing them. You want a breed that is still
somewhat available. It will be easier to find good stock, and you'll have plenty of competition against which to judge your skill and progress. Plus you'll
be able to find other breeders to advise you. Choose some obscur rare breed if you must. If "saving" them appeals to you. Just realize that you'll have little competition
so winning will not mean much. Be sure that whatever breed and variety you choose is recognized, otherwise showing is pointless too.

Back
Top Bottom