Best breeds with orpingtons / welsummers?

I was looking at light brahmas, I live in the upstate of SC. Do you think our temps would be okay for them?

I have found that Brahmas are weirdly heat-tolerant despite having every characteristic that *should* make trouble for them but that my Wyandottes do poorly in the heat.

I just love Australorps for their personalities (laid-back and easygoing), their productivity, and their beauty and I find them second only to my California Whites in terms of heat tolerance.

My French Cuckoo Marans have also been mellow, middle-of-the-pecking order girls who have been good flock citizens.

Our English Orpington are the sweetest birds I've ever encountered.
We decided to keep only nice birds in with them, and so far real Ameraucana fit the bill. Hens, anyway. It's the most peaceful flock we've ever had.
Speckled Sussex are also quite mellow.
We have some Leghorns (never intended to), and they are meek enough birds that when they fly over the dividing fence they don't cause any problems. They lay in the Orpington coop, let Sir Clifford mate with them 😂 and then go "home" to their own coop by dark.
Everyone says Leghorns are so skittish and they definitely have that tendency, but we found by not hassling them as chicks and brooding them on the porch where people walk by, they've grown comfortable with people things and don't expect to be accosted.
Where did you get your English Orpingtons? Those are beautiful!
I have found that Brahmas are weirdly heat-tolerant despite having every characteristic that *should* make trouble for them but that my Wyandottes do poorly in the heat.

I just love Australorps for their personalities (laid-back and easygoing), their productivity, and their beauty and I find them second only to my California Whites in terms of heat tolerance.

My French Cuckoo Marans have also been mellow, middle-of-the-pecking order girls who have been good flock citizens.
I’m checking out Australorps & they seem pretty amazing, too! I really appreciate all the advice! What do you think of Easter eggers or olive eggers? I had purchased some prairie bluebell eggers, but one of them had vent issues. Not sure if it was for the laying reasons.

Back
Top Bottom