1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BEST BROWN EGG LAYER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I Love Layers, Jul 30, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    So I'm getting 10 hens and 1 roo to add to my flock next year. I want them to be brown egg layers, no hybrids. Not looking for anything that will go broody much either. And preferably not black.
    I don't need to worry about aggressive roosters either, my Chantecler puts all aggressive roosters in their place[​IMG]

Anyone have any opinions?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Australorps are high on most lists, but are black. I like the Wyandottes I've had, and they have small combs too. Speckled Sussex are very nice birds, but have single combs. Have you checked Henderson's breed chart? feathersite? I've got white Chanties and love them! Mary

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Plymouth Rocks! Yes! Mary PS Again, single combs.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I have Barred Rocks. Momma Hen lays a large light brown egg 5-7 days a week. Little Hen lays a small dark brown egg 4-5 days per week.
    Stripie, our Cucco Maran that died back in December, laid a nice medium brown egg about 5-6 days a week.

Based on what I have read, I would love to have some Austrolorps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by