Best calcium source?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amanda1, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

1. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    my hen who prolapsed a few weeks ago is consistently laying very large, very weak shelled eggs. I’ve been trying to supplement her with extra calcium from crushed egg shells, but her egg quality is not improving. Is there something I can give her that will absorb better than the traditional sources of calcium? They get layer feed, free choice oyster shell, and crushed egg shell daily. She is 4 years old and a consistant layer.

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

She may have an absorption issue. Can you try calcium citrate plus D3 for a few days and see if that helps? Are you sure she’s eating the egg shell and/or oyster hell? Has she had any respiratory symptoms, like sneezing? Infectious Bronchitis can have very mild symptoms, but damage the shell gland.

3. amanda1

amanda1 Songster

Aug 5, 2015
    I have never known her to be sick. That infectious bronchitis has been suggested before, but I’ve had her from the hatchery and she has always been healthy. The egg issue started about a year ago. I can’t say it’s definite, but I noticed it when I changed feed for a while. Is there a name brand of the calcium I can look for? She does eat the egg shells I provide, but I can’t say if anyone ever eats the oyster shell. It appears that they don’t.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: