Best camera to monitor chickens while away from home

Adept

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I will be leaving my (mostly) responsible 17 year old to watch our week old chicks in a few weeks, since an unexpected trip out of town has come up the weekend after our chicks are due to arrive. I think he can handle it, since I will be here with them for the first few and most important days, but I would really like to be able to keep an eye on them from afar. I think one of those baby monitor cameras that you can monitor with your phone would be cool, but I have an android device, not an I phone. Any suggestions?

Well, since no one replied, I worked it out on my own. I purchased a D link camera and set it up above the brooder. Super easy to set up and totally awesome. I can log into the camera at work and watch my 10 little girls. The whole office has my log in info and there is always one screen with my chickens on it. The sound is really good too.
We moved them into the big coop today.....they are almost 6 weeks old. I think I may upgrade to an outdoor rated camera. D link makes an inexpensive one. Any one else viewing their chickens obsessively on multiple devices?

Ha! I have my ADT security camera in my kitchen window that looks out on my coop and run. The camera is a cheapy, so they only look like little specks, but it gives me the comfort that their pop door and electronics are working properly. I'd hate for them to get stuck in the coop all day while I'm at work. Especially in the summer time.

I also have a Foscam FI8919W camera in their coop. It pans/tilts and has night vision. I originally bought it since I was going on vacation and leaving the neighbors to watch the girls. It's fun to check up on them or see if there are any eggs in the nesting box. I need to buy another one to put in the run so I can check up on them throughout the day when I'm at work.

My dad is a pretty decent computer geek, so all my cameras, as well as those in his home, are on his personal server and accessible by my phone, be it an android or an iphone.

Yes, everyone who is not a crazy chicken lover such as I am picks on me and makes fun of my cameras watching my girls... but funny enough, they all want access to see them.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom