Best/Cheapest Cornish X

mswiggi

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 4, 2007
Hi,
What hatchery has the cheapest cornish cross, and what hatchery do you feel has the best. I'm trying to figure out where to order from this spring.

I say pick the hatcheries closest to you and just look at their sites for shipping and other costs. Distance traveled can be proportional to mortality so even if each chick is 5 cents cheaper from hatchery b vs a, if you lose 10% of the birds in shipping because of an extra day in transport, the cost is negated.

For quantity, ideal, mc murrary, privett, and meyers are just a few of the many people use.

I order from Murray McMurray hatchery which is located in Iowa. I live in Minnesota so the distance is short. I've always gotten my chicks quickly and in excellent shape. The jumbo cornish X have been ready to process in 6-8 weeks, dressing out from 4-7 lbs.
I don't know that they are the cheapest, but with my experiences so far I will keep ordering from them. Good luck.

I bought 16 slow cornish from Privett and was extremely pleased. Their prices include shipping (they do charge an extra $7 if you order less than 100), so they ended up being pretty affordable. Plus they sent me several extra for free. They grow a little slower than their fast cornish but I had zero death loss on the whole bunch. Most of them reached about 6 lbs. in 8-9 weeks. They were vigorous, healthy birds that finish out plump and juicy. I'm definatelty going to get them again.

Back
Top Bottom