1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Chicken Breeds For Chicken Noobies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LittleHobbyFarm, Dec 6, 2014.

1. LittleHobbyFarm

LittleHobbyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    When I first started with chickens. I had know idea what to do or what breed to get. We started out with Jersey Giants. They were very loud and large. After a year or so of having them, we got some random feed store chicks and we've branched out since then. After that we got some beautiful healthy Buff Orphingtons. They were perfect. I think they are the best for starters. They are about medium size, lay eggs, and are the right size for eating. What do you think?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My personal favorite breed is the Wyandotte chicken.

I think that they are great for new chicken people because they are docile, very good layers, hardy in both cold and heat, and are a good size if you decide to eat them. Mine have had the best personalities of all my chickens and aren't standoffish or mean. My Wyandottes have laid around 250-270 eggs each, per year, even though they are now nearly four years old. They have survived below 0 temperatures relatively easily and have done fine in 100 degree temperatures as well. I've never eaten my Wyandottes, but they were developed as a dual purpose breed, and if you get the right line of birds they become quite large.

3. MyMiniFarm

MyMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    I personally prefer bantams despite their small eggs so my favourite for first timers would be a bantam Cochin. They're very personable and sweet. My have all survived the winters here (rarely a day above 0) with ease. They lay everyday in the summer and about every third day in the winter. I would recommend them to anyone!

4. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Same here the bantam cochins are lovely personality and temperment wise mine did great in the cold irish winters with no heat lamp needed, the only downside is the eggs are super small and they arent as productive with laying also they seem to be a little bit more easy prey the odd time a fox might visit, i would go for the same breed that i got as my first hen super hardy and great layers rhode island red or a mix breed of them. :) good luck and enjoy!!!!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think it depends somewhat on your expectations and desires.

My first chickens were EE's awesome birds, totally tame, lay well and do just fine in my cold, long winters. Over the years i have *cough* expanded and have found pluses with quite a few other breeds, i think if you want to dabble or try it out the banties are nice, silkies and cochin for instance(i own both, cochin are bantams) as they lay well, do fine in winter and are easily handled and take less housing and feed.

6. Hawaiilad

Hawaiilad New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    What about the Red Star, Black Star and the Rhode Island Reds for good layers?

7. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    I really love red stars. They are not much to look at but are very curious and fantastic layers.

More recently I got a Barred Rock. She is
    quickly becoming a favorite! She haven't started laying yet but is so calm and friendly. She runs over to sit on my lap when I come in the pen.

The one thing I would highly recommend to new owners is to get multiple breeds. It makes things more interesting to have a mixed flock and you can find the breed that is right for you.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by