Best Chicken Guard dog

hmm, I saw someone asking about mini dachshunds, and if you find the right one that's relaxed and lacks the game dog instinct, they'll do alright. I have a mini doxie, since I breed them with my family, but she's not really good in the breeding department as she has only had 1 litter and her twin sister is now preparing to lay down her fourth litter. Anyways, my doxie, penny, is rather calm and relaxed, not very aggressive, and doesn't usually bark that much unless a cat gets too close to our glass door, but when she does, it's loud and sharp.

Penny, though calm and rather docile, can hold her own, as she's the largest dachshund we have, and when our other more aggressive doxies go at it, she usually breaks it up and rips each dog a new one, our Doberman doesn't even want to bother with her, lol!

So far, with the first batch of chicks, 19 broilers, she's been very friendly, loves to be around them, and I suspect she likes to think of them as her babies, since the first litter she had, she was a great mom, and the rest of our females allow only her near their pups and babysit them when they need to go potty, so I guess this'll be a good job for her for now, protectin' the chicks and chickens.

i have a red fox problem, don't like the idea of killing it and my shitzu/terrier is not scary enough I have 2 acres no fences and a small flock of about 40 chickens and was wondering what breed of dog would be a good Guardian for them
With no fences, you definitely need to stay away from Great Pyrenees. They tend to roam. Sounds like you need something right away. I would put out a live trap and consider a fence of some kind. In my experience, if you go with an LGD you need to get a very young one. Like under 12 weeks. But, then you can't trust them alone with your flock until 10 mos or older. The AkbashX I mentioned in my post above got out once with our G Pyr and she was the ruin of him. We no longer have either one of them and I am training two Akbash/Great Pyrenees. Good luck to you.

This is my first post on BackYard Chickens. My wife and I raise about 26 free range chickens in Northern Minnesota. We have an amazing Golden Retriever who "helps" us with chores, lies among the chickens, and is regarded by the flock as "safe." Robin does not chase nor bother them. Yesterday while we were both gone from home, and our dogs were inside, a red fox attacked and killed 8 of our chickens. We had to rescue three that were 250 yards down the road by a river, hiding in the woods. It was a stressful day. We live in the country on 48 acres, with about 3 acres right beside our house. We've seen the foxes in broad daylight running across our field to the woods during random activity. I've read quite a few posts on this forum about the Pyr, and am curious as to our best route. Obviouslly we have a coop for at night, and they are safe then. It is honestly during the day when we are both at work. Typically we have not had our dogs out, because we do not have a fence. Though I've read that foxes can jump fences, it seems to us that our best options are: 1. Fence the yard to keep our dogs IN to be able to keep our chickens safe when we are gone 2. Consider a large breed that adapts well to being outside all day! Thoughts :)? Thanks for your input. I am not a hunter/trapper, and I know that foxes have lived on our property for years. We simply want to keep our chickens safe.

Very first thing I would put out a couple strands of hotwire that completes encompasses area chickens range. If need be, then add cover patches and feeding stations to keep chickens from wanting to forage outside fenced in area. Then get large dog kennel and pup (you have poultry guardian options in addition to Great Pyrenees). Look into bow to habituate pup to chickens and small area of only 48 acres. Pup will be at least an intermittent threat to chickens for next 18 to 24 months.

Very first thing I would put out a couple strands of hotwire that completes encompasses area chickens range. If need be, then add cover patches and feeding stations to keep chickens from wanting to forage outside fenced in area. Then get large dog kennel and pup (you have poultry guardian options in addition to Great Pyrenees). Look into bow to habituate pup to chickens and small area of only 48 acres. Pup will be at least an intermittent threat to chickens for next 18 to 24 months.
Thanks for your input, centrarchid :)!!

Don't even think about getting a LGD breed without proper fencing to keep it in. They are not going to hang around the house just because the chickens or animals that are more natural for them to guard like sheep and goats are in that area. They will also not recognize your lot lines as boundaries. The more area you expect dogs to guard the more dogs you will need. How many will depend on what types of predators you have and what the "pressure" is from them.

:welcome

for 4 years never had more than an opossum as predator...and never lost a chicken to a predator even though they are out all day, and I'm sometimes away at work for 12+ hours. However, it is known we have everything from opossum, raccoon, fox, coyote, black bear, and neighbor dog (who has tried to climb my 4ft fence to get to the chickens). The chickens "free-range" as they have a large run enclosed by a 4ft fence without a top and they go in and out at will.
Just recently I've started losing chickens during the day - they are secured inside at night.
I don't know what is taking them as there is nothing left that I've seen. It may be that some animal(s) have litters and are feeding them. The "action" takes place far enough away that when I do hear their alarm I still can't see/find anything. My land is surrounded by wild woods on 2 sides, government/conservancy owned.
I don't know what to do. My run is not large enough for a LGD (half an acre) and the chickens get out anyway. I don't have a perimeter fence and can't afford a survey to know legally where I can put one up. I'm on about 2 acres and have neighbors on all sides. I'm in the mountains of North Carolina and the winters can be fairly brutal here with temps in double-digit negatives and 60mph winds. A guard dog would need to fit all these criteria.
One down the street has 2 Pyr and the neighbors don't complain much about the barking. Just that we have fewer deer and turkey passing through here than we used to. I have an "alarm goose" but the poor guy is scant help actually scaring predators, just a good alarm :)
Anyone have suggestions?

for 4 years never had more than an opossum as predator...and never lost a chicken to a predator even though they are out all day, and I'm sometimes away at work for 12+ hours. However, it is known we have everything from opossum, raccoon, fox, coyote, black bear, and neighbor dog (who has tried to climb my 4ft fence to get to the chickens). The chickens "free-range" as they have a large run enclosed by a 4ft fence without a top and they go in and out at will.
Just recently I've started losing chickens during the day - they are secured inside at night.
I don't know what is taking them as there is nothing left that I've seen. It may be that some animal(s) have litters and are feeding them. The "action" takes place far enough away that when I do hear their alarm I still can't see/find anything. My land is surrounded by wild woods on 2 sides, government/conservancy owned.
I don't know what to do. My run is not large enough for a LGD (half an acre) and the chickens get out anyway. I don't have a perimeter fence and can't afford a survey to know legally where I can put one up. I'm on about 2 acres and have neighbors on all sides. I'm in the mountains of North Carolina and the winters can be fairly brutal here with temps in double-digit negatives and 60mph winds. A guard dog would need to fit all these criteria.
One down the street has 2 Pyr and the neighbors don't complain much about the barking. Just that we have fewer deer and turkey passing through here than we used to. I have an "alarm goose" but the poor guy is scant help actually scaring predators, just a good alarm :)
Anyone have suggestions?
There are times when penning birds is the most practical option. Yours appears to be such.

Back
Top Bottom