Best chicken raising book ever?

congdon476

GaLLiNa LOcA
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Pueblo Area
OK- for all the famous posters and moderators out there at BYC, for the record, what is your #1 all time, recommended book for newbies about chicken raising? No fair adding... "but I also like". Just ONE. I can't afford to carry too many out of the library, there'd be no strength left for building the run tomorrow!
lol.png

Honestly I'm not sure I've read one I'm wholly satisfied with. But if you want something cheerleadery and encouraging, albeit short on reliable useful information and tips
tongue.png
, I'd have to nominate Barbara Kilarski's Keep Chickens! It is also good for handing to spouses etc who are unsure about the whole thing. She makes it sound very fun and easy and economical and like lots of people are doing it. All of which are true of course
smile.png

I suppose for more fact-y type stuff I like Gail Damerow's Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (*not* the same company's guide to raising *poultry*, by a different author) but hopefully there *is* something better out there somewhere.

Pat

Quote:
The Chicken health handbook by Gail Damerow.

Reason- the key to a key to a healthy flock is knowing what to watch for, chicken biology, feeding, reproduction and egg laying. It's all covered in detail.

Steve in NC

I have Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow and The Chicken Health Handbook also by Gail Damerow but I rely just as much on BYC as I like to cross-reference when doing research...and not necessarily in the order that I've posted them.

Just realized you wanted us to post just one but all 3 options that I posted make up 1 big book for me!
wink.png

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I also have the chicken health handbook and raising small flocks my favorite is my christmas present the Encyclopedia of chickens it has all sorts of cool chicken stuff inside and European breeds to
smile.png

I was given "Keep Chickens".

Read it, Loved it. But, it didn't convert my wife.

Gave it to Brian as his prize on the Yappy Finger's contest.

Hopefully he can use it to convert someone else to chickens.

Here is another great resource that I found here on BYC:

Time Line of a Chicken

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom