Best Choices For Duck Bedding

Soos-Quacken

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Colorado
Greetings,

For my ducks bedding, I have been using straw, and the more I've used it the more I have come to dislike it. It doeskin absorb water, it takes a very long time for it to break down in our compost, and it molds very easily. So, I am wondering if there is an alternative to hay. I have been doing research that says pine shavings could work, as well as cedar. Will these work, or are there better options for bedding?

Thanks

Greetings,

For my ducks bedding, I have been using straw, and the more I've used it the more I have come to dislike it. It doeskin absorb water, it takes a very long time for it to break down in our compost, and it molds very easily. So, I am wondering if there is an alternative to hay. I have been doing research that says pine shavings could work, as well as cedar. Will these work, or are there better options for bedding?

Thanks
Duck are messy when it comes to water. I've stopped having waterers in their coop. I also like the FINE pine shavings as they are very absorbent.

Our winters are mild so there will not be a time where I'd have to put water in the coop. Your winters are probably cold. If I had to put drinking water in the coop I'd do it in such a way that just a small part of the coop got wet; a partition/barrier of some kind around the water dishes.

Back
Top Bottom