Best coop option besides building one myself?

I doubt Pergo siding would hold up to rain, etc. If the Pergo is free, and your coop is inside a garage or barn...OK. Otherwise, go with plywood sheathing. Paint or stain it, to keep it weather resistant.

My coop converted from the doctor's dollhouse (I don't have any pics handy) came with Pergo flooring. I wouldn't buy it for a coop. For free, it's good.

I think the best floor covering for a small coop is sheet vinyl. Ask a flooring supplier if they have any scraps they're throwing out.
That is what I told them regarding the siding.

Um yeah, I live in the community of Amish. They are swell business people and realize that because it is Amish made, they can male a premium.
As well anything with the name "Amish" in the title probably has someone else's hands on it.
I am in the same boat as the OP. You aren't going to find a handyman or Amish built coop for $500. There was a cute coop being sold that could house maybe 4 chickens with the tiniest run attached (I think it was included in the dimensions which makes the coop not suitable for 4), I stopped to look at the price $899. :eek:
I think it depends where you live but I agree with Beer can, if you live in a community with Amish that is a good place to find a reliable carpenter that may help you. I don't think finding a business with labeling themselves Amish made is the cheapest route. I look at the prices list for the above link and they are expensive but do include free delivery. I am not sure where Beer can lives in NY but I think we are probably with in 100 miles of each other. Going the Amish route is great if you have local farms like we do. I had a relative have a very large storage building built by the Amish on her property, She just stopped at a couple of the farms and asked if they were interested in the job. They had to get permission from their elders to ride in her car but basically she bought all the lumber and supplies, picked them and their tools up in the morning and drove them home in the evening. We had our storage shed built by a local shed company, our is smaller and cost more plus paid for delivery.
If you look on craigslist type sites you can usually find handyman looking for side jobs too. I would think depending on size $500 for lumber and supplies and then have to add cost of labor. We built a 16'x8' and it cost my husband $600 for lumber and supplies including the hardware cloth, he did all the work himself so we didn't have labor cost.

I think it depends where you live but I agree with Beer can, if you live in a community with Amish that is a good place to find a reliable carpenter that may help you. I don't think finding a business with labeling themselves Amish made is the cheapest route. I look at the prices list for the above link and they are expensive but do include free delivery. I am not sure where Beer can lives in NY but I think we are probably with in 100 miles of each other. Going the Amish route is great if you have local farms like we do. I had a relative have a very large storage building built by the Amish on her property, She just stopped at a couple of the farms and asked if they were interested in the job. They had to get permission from their elders to ride in her car but basically she bought all the lumber and supplies, picked them and their tools up in the morning and drove them home in the evening. We had our storage shed built by a local shed company, our is smaller and cost more plus paid for delivery.
If you look on craigslist type sites you can usually find handyman looking for side jobs too. I would think depending on size $500 for lumber and supplies and then have to add cost of labor. We built a 16'x8' and it cost my husband $600 for lumber and supplies including the hardware cloth, he did all the work himself so we didn't have labor cost.
You might be on to something. I never thought about buying the lumber and having that ready. Hmmm.... I will ask around see if anyone knows anyone that would do that.

Back
Top Bottom