Best dog food for around $30

Artemis Fowl

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Arizona
First I want to say this is my sister's dog not mine, I had the dog for about two years while my sister was moving. When she was in my care I feed her Taste of the Wild and she thrived. Now my sister took her back and is feeding her Alpo. Now the dog is having health problems that I know are a result of the dog food. The thing is my sister is only willing to spend around $30 a bag at the most. I've tried to convince her to let me keep the dog at my house, but she is being stubborn. I just feel bad for the dog being locked in the house 12 hours a day and having that horrible dog food so if someone can suggest a better dog food that would really help me out.

The best food for that price in my opinion is 4-health from Tractor Supply. I have heard great things about Costco's premium dog food too (it's called Kirklands). I feel the 4-health is just a step down from TOTW. My dogs all did very well on it.

Check out this site for analysis of dry dog foods. I'd buy the food with the highest rating that I could afford.

Canidae scores 5 stars (out of 6) and you should be able to find it for about $1/lb. Some of the 6 star brands go for upwards of $2.50/pound.

I second the post on the 4health from TSC. I have been feeding my cats and dogs both this brand of food. I feed more expensive stuff in the past and they are doing just as well on this brand. I pay #32.99 for my Aussies Lamb and Rice formula and 29 or 30 for the small bites formula. Maybe show your sister the dog food comparison and try to educate her more. A couple good points would be 1> They will eat less of better quality since it is not all fillers. 2> the dog will have a better coat and shed less 3> My dogs quit farting when I switched to better quality and some of them babies were raunchy! 4> the dog will just plain be healthier!
If you think it may be an allergy maybe mention the DIamond Brand Lamb and Rice formula I wanna say its right around $30 at TSC for a 35-40# bag. Diamind also has some formulas in the NATURALS line that don't have corn or dies that would be in that price range.
Hopefully you can find something she is willing to buy, going from Taste of the Wild to junk must have wreaked havoc on that poor dog :(

It has been my experience that Alpo gives dogs terrible gas and the poops. Maybe that will be her deciding factor in changing. Also soooo much more cleanup with foods like Alpo.

Alpo is a really terrible food. Like the other posters have said, TSC has 4health, TOTW and Diamond Naturals (Naturals formula only) which are good foods at decent prices.

I have never fed Costcos's Kirkland, but have heard lots of good about it.

Unfortunately I don't have a TSC near me but I have a Costco about 2 hours away. Is the food worth the drive? I have been looking online but it's almost impossible to find a decent food for that price range. I also forgot to mention earlier that the dog is also allergic to corn, so it makes her options that much smaller.

I have my dogs on Diamond Naturals lamb meal and rice. Have done very well on it. Had them on Pedigree prior and my Shepherds coat was horrible. Since switching to Diamond Naturals her coat is 100 percent improved. I pay about $27.95 for a 40 lb bag at my local ag store.

Unfortunately I don't have a TSC near me but I have a Costco about 2 hours away. Is the food worth the drive? I have been looking online but it's almost impossible to find a decent food for that price range. I also forgot to mention earlier that the dog is also allergic to corn, so it makes her options that much smaller.

Yea, it's very similar to Diamond Naturals.

Back
Top Bottom