Best dogs that protect chickens and kids?

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Hello! I am wondering what dogs you all have? We are looking into getting a lgd for our chickens /goats and us, our dog attacked one of our chickens so we would like on that has low/no prey drive. Not massive (100lbs max), it needs to get along with kids and is not too hard to train. We were thinking about a Polish Tatra Sheepdog they are kind of rare so if anyone has any I would love to hear your experience with them. We do not have a large field but we do have 3 acers of land that it would be able to wander we would have a electric collar so if it gets past our property it will get shocked (we have a lot of dog catchers in our area so we would not what him to get lost). He would be an indoor outdoor dog and protect his family and his animals. He would be mostly bonded to us but also his animals if that is possible...iknow that this is a lot to find in a dog but hopefully you guys might have some suggestions on a good breed for us. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aussies are good dogs but that's just me personally, any dog can be good for what you need with diligent training.
Thanks for the reply! When we got our 2 mutts they were supposed to be aussies but the lady we got them from lied to us so we got these 2 little mutts that so naughty. Planning on getting just 1 puppy this time so that the dog will bond to us not each other.

My Cattle Dog was the best farm dog ever. Perfect with my chickens, incredibly smart, did not wander, excellent recall. Not so good with strangers. Really had to warm up to people. They really bond to their people and "pack". I feel like my dog had the ability to telepathically communicate--like commands weren't needed, she just understood.

Back
Top Bottom