Best Double Purpose Breed?

They look sort of thin to me. I have a Speckled Sussex from my local feed store (so from some hatchery) that is fatter. I have a couple Coronation Sussex and they dwarf my SS. I know they are the English style, but they look like a totally different breed.

It is difficult to see scale in the pictures. Click on additional photos and videos and you can see a video of their breeding stock. They usually have this on each breed page.

They look sort of thin to me. I have a Speckled Sussex from my local feed store (so from some hatchery) that is fatter. I have a couple Coronation Sussex and they dwarf my SS. I know they are the English style, but they look like a totally different breed.

A Coronation Sussex and the Speckled Sussex are two different breeds, really. I am not even sure if the Coronation variety is recognized by the APA. I know the Coronation Sussex was developed for the coronation of a king of England before World War II.

I really like the Javas... choosing a chicken breed is so hard.

I did notice that Ideal Poultry made a mistake in its description of Javas. They state that Java came from Java. It was some of the breeding stock that is believed to have come from Java.

Other chickens were bred with those chickens from Java to create the Java chicken, which is the second-oldest breed created in the United States.

I can only have so many roosters though... otherwise the neighbors complain.

Most people have either no rooster or just one rooster.

If you want to breed chickens you can have a rooster and hens of one breed and other breeds that lay clearly different eggs. This way you can use your chosen breed's eggs to hatch chicks.

Most people have either no rooster or just one rooster.

If you want to breed chickens you can have a rooster and hens of one breed and other breeds that lay clearly different eggs. This way you can use your chosen breed's eggs to hatch chicks.

yeah, I know. I meant it's hard to choose which one to breed.

I think I am going with the Speckled Sussex, because everybody else in my family really likes them. I'll probably get some chicks in the spring. I really struggle to get shipped eggs to hatch!

I think I am going with the Speckled Sussex, because everybody else in my family really likes them. I'll probably get some chicks in the spring. I really struggle to get shipped eggs to hatch!

Speckled Sussex is a good all-around breed, and it is not very common. They can also go broody, so the hens can hatch out chicks for you.

Back
Top Bottom