Best duck for eggs

if you want to think dual purpose we raise Silver Appleyards and they lay extremely well 9the best of the meat breeds) for being a meat breed duck. Plus they butcher out well.

if you want to think dual purpose we raise Silver Appleyards and they lay extremely well 9the best of the meat breeds) for being a meat breed duck. Plus they butcher out well.
I am so excited to get some of yours next year! Woot! We've decided to go with WH for eggs and SA for dual purpose. That they are both eye candy is a huge bonus. :D Just sayin!
love.gif

I am so excited to get some of yours next year! Woot! We've decided to go with WH for eggs and SA for dual purpose. That they are both eye candy is a huge bonus. :D Just sayin!
love.gif
Once I get my goose situation all lined out, I would like to get some Silver Appleyards to raise for meat. I really like the look of them. I have my Welsh Harlequins for eggs/meat. I've been waiting for their first molt to be over so I can see which of the drakes looks the best, then the rest of them will go to freezer camp. My only problem is Holderreads threw in a Cayuga as a freebie when I ordered the WH's, and of course it is beautiful - but a drake! My mom loves it and is not happy with the idea of eating it. I only have four ducks, so all I need is one WH drake. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Zooweemoma, the SA have been split up from the Khaki flock on 9/1 so we are on target for winter hatching for our own use, and of course spring for customers.

Lightening you will enjoy the SA greatly.

I was gonna say my Cayuga's lay really well I have 3 and one they all started laying I get an egg a day, for the first time in over two weeks I only got 2 today on average I get a dozen eggs ever 4 days from 3 girls. And thy are pretty(g) I want some wh's though too.

I have a female Rouen and Pekin. Both lay well. I get plenty of eggs, however the Pekin EATS A LOT MORE feed! Her eggs should be twice the price LOL.

when looking for a duck for eggs read comparisons as larger breeds lay less than light weight breeds. Some take more time over all during the year than others. Everyone will say, I have so and so breed and they lay great. Ok do they lay great daily year round? Do they have a good food to egg conversion? most breeds lay very well spring summer and slack off as it grows cold and less daylight. Some others dont see to skip a beat laying over 300-320 eggs a year.

Zooweemoma, the SA have been split up from the Khaki flock on 9/1 so we are on target for winter hatching for our own use, and of course spring for customers.
Lightening you will enjoy the SA greatly.
Once I get all those extra drakes into the freezer I'll have lots of room in the duck house and run to put in some SA's.

I understand your point that not all birds are good enough to breed, but I have a question. If I am only breeding in order to eat the hatchlings, do you think I need top show quality ducks for that? I am not intending to sell them to anybody, just put some meat in the freezer. I'd appreciate your input.

nope you dont need SQ ducks for eggs and meat. You will want non mongrel birds (ie dont get a SA cross hoping for SA like benefits) but production or PQ (pet quality) will give you eggs and breed and be available to be butchered.

Back
Top Bottom