best eggers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericwaddle3, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Which birds have the best egg to feed ratio, other than Leghorns? Lets hear you opinions?

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We have two Golden Comets and 2 Cherry Eggers, and all of them are reliable producers. They lay almost every day, and one of the Cherry Eggers laid two double-yolkers this week. All of them except for one of the Golden Comets started laying right at 24 weeks; the other one started at 18 1/2 weeks.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

From my limited research, sex links have the best feed to egg ratio. Australorps have a very good track record as well. So that's what we got, with a couple of EEs for variety.

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:Sounds like you have a well rounded flock!

Out of our 8 different breeds, our Red Star(Sex Link) has been amazing. She has laid 45/46 days thus far and lays very large eggs. I don't know how much she eats but she is a small bird compared to our others so I imagine her conversion ratio is quite good. She also started laying about 18.5 weeks as well.

I am constantly amazed she can produce the large eggs she does. Her very first egg was larger than anything any of our other birds have laid yet, even in their 2nd and 3rd weeks of laying and being larger than her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by