best egglayer.

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
So I've been getting MANY different opinions so I'm just going to ask everyone once and for all which breed lays more on average?

From my family's experience, non-heritage: cinnamon queens or the production white leghorns. For the heritage breeds: Rhode Island Reds. My grandmother had great luck with Dominiques as well (my dad is looking to get some of those.)

cross breeds and sex links are the best layers out there when you cross two breeds of chickens the resulting offspring have a cross vigor wich helps them lay better its kind of like the cornish cross its the best meatbird out there because of cross vigor.

Any breed specifically bred for egg production, particularly those bred for commercial production. However, these prolific layers don't tend to keep up their egg magic for more than 2-3 years, at best.

Heritage breeds bred for egg production (or dual purpose) while not egg wizards like the above, are also prolific and tend to lay better over the long haul.

So it depends on what you're after and how to plan to manage your flock. If you want tons of eggs and plan to regularly replace birds, the commercial layers are your best bet. If you're looking for a supply just for your family and want something that will be more steady over a longer period of time, lean more towards heritage layers.

Production Red
It's in their name :p - Mine lays JUMBO eggs every day and she is almost two. She didn't even stop during her molt. She has only missed two days since January 1st 2012

I don't think the production reds lay for long. In my experience, they start to get blood in their eggs as they start getting a little older.

So I've been getting MANY different opinions so I'm just going to ask everyone once and for all which breed lays more on average?

Gold sex-link, Golden Comets.....They are generally a cross between Rhode Island Red male and Rhode Island White female. LARGE, beautiful brown eggs from sweet friendly Lillte birds, so you get an excellent feed conversion ratio.

I have three hens: two Barred Plymouth Rocks and one Rhode Island red. My Rhode Island red is SUCH AN AWESOME CHICKEN!!! :D She lays a large egg just about every day. She's also not skiddish like one of my Barred Plymouth Rocks. My Barred Plymouth rocks lay pretty well too, but my Rhode Island Red is the best!! :)

I have three hens: two Barred Plymouth Rocks and one Rhode Island red. My Rhode Island red is SUCH AN AWESOME CHICKEN!!!
big_smile.png
She lays a large egg just about every day. She's also not skiddish like one of my Barred Plymouth Rocks. My Barred Plymouth rocks lay pretty well too, but my Rhode Island Red is the best!!
smile.png

if you have a RI red male then you can cross it to your barred rocks and get black sexlinks wich can be sexed at birth and are terrific layers.

Back
Top Bottom