Best Feed for a Mixed Flock

ChickenFox

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 5, 2013
West Virginia
My flock is a mix of LF and Banties. Most of the hens lay, others are not old enough and I've got Roo's to boot. I'm currently just feeding them all Purina Layena Plus Omega-3....Now that I'm really reading about proper diets I'm realizing all that extra calcium can't be good for the Roo's and non laying pullets. Anyone have a recommendation for a good all-round feed that isn't anymore expensive than what I'm currently feeding? I sell my eggs to some coworkers and they love the taste of them so I'm also worried about changing feeds and it affecting the taste of the eggs...

I have good luck feeding Nutrena All Flock- which is a 18% protein feed with 1.4-1.9% calcium ( most layer feeds have 16% protein and between 3.5-4% calcium). In winter, I add sunflower seed and some scratch to give them an extra kick through the cold weather. I always keep out some free choice oyster shells and grit for them.

We have a local mill that provides a few choices. I've done the Gamebird Grower, Gamebird Stater, Broiler Starter, All Flock starter, Grower etc. The only real difference in them is the % of protein and whether or not they contain animal based protein or are vegetarian. I prefer the animal protein, clearly.

The results have been very, very good and it sure makes feeding a mixed flock easier, especially if you have some volunteer help who might be filling in as a favor while we might be out of town for a couple of days.

If you want a good nutritious feed with probotic added try a organic feed.i get mine from countryside Organics and they ship to me. They are in VA and I'm in CA but they ship out fast. I order online. Their feed is all organic and very fresh.my hens love it!! And it's packed full of good things! ! Take a look online at their website. They're prices are good as well. A 29 pound bag is only 19 dollars which isn't bad for a organic feed packed full of good stuff! Take a look and see what you think. I'm very pleased with it myself. Best wishes

Thanks for all the quick replies! I was considering using Southern States All Grain but it seems to only come in Layer/Breeder and Grower. I can't find an analysis on it's Protein/Calcium lvls. Guess I'll have to go to the store and read one of the bags. I'm not big on it not having any animal protein either. My birds love their bugs and occasional unfortunate mouse (Yuck!), so I'd like their feed to have animal protein but maybe I can just supplement with kitchen meat scraps or possibly a little crushed cat food... No local mills and no store nearby has Nutrena All Flock either. TSC does have the Purina Flock Raiser but I'd like something a tad easier on my budget. If I thought I could actually afford the Organic Feed realsis I would! But my birds go through a 50 pound bag of feed a week. They haven't got to free range in a few months due to more than a few stray dogs that keep coming into my yard. Can't wait to get this property fenced.

Back
Top Bottom