Best feed for chickens that aren't free range?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moonflower, Jun 18, 2010.

1. moonflower

moonflower New Egg

Apr 2, 2010
    Cloverdale/Surrey
    I may be a little bit nuts, but I'm used to that one, [​IMG] But I have found that I don't like the taste of my egg whites that my chickens are laying and I am pretty sure it has to do with the feed that I feed them. I know that they would be better off being able to free range, but we have a chicken eater here so I can't let them out.
    I am getting pretty confused with all that is available out there. I don't know if being in Canada has anything to do with the feed, but I'll throw that bit of info out as well.
    Some one told me recently that grower finisher free range was a good feed to feed them cause it will help with the egg yolk and that will help with the taste. Are people pulling my leg? I sure could use some input from someone please...I want my birds to be healthy, but also can't afford a arm n leg either.

2. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    If they can't safely free range, then bring the range food to them to supplement your commercial feed. Bring them grass clippings, garden scraps, melon rinds.

3. moonflower

moonflower New Egg

Apr 2, 2010
    Cloverdale/Surrey
    Thanks Johny for answering me so quickly. I have been bringing them all kinds of fruit almost each day, and throwing them chickweed and grass as well as much as I can. I also changed their feed to 18% layer/breeder crumble to see if I can fatten them up a bit. When you say garden scraps, what do you mean?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Moving to the 18% Layer was a good move.

The Grower / Finisher sounds like a meat bird feed, which is not what you want for laying hens.

Look at the ingredients on the label. Animal protein should be on it. It is superior to Plant protein alone.

Feed them small amounts of grass clippings, bugs, sunflower seeds.
    Your eggs should start to taste better soon.

spot

5. Alaskaman

Alaskaman New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Two words (table scraps) I have found chickens are great garbage disposables every morning table scraps go to the chickens.

JMA:cool:

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] and good morning.
    I feed mine purina pellets Leyena
    but when I run out they get
    and love it. (Purina Dry)cat food.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you mind telling us what brand of food you've been feeding? What are the ingredients in it? Specifically, what is the protein source in it and does it have any ingredients that aren't grain, vitamins or minerals? I know that the brand of feed or certain feed ingredients can sometimes effect taste. I'm just wondering if there might be something in your feed that's effecting your egg flavor.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Your laying hens should have a layer ration with around 20% protein. Commercial feeds are formulated for a balanced diet and feeding scraps delutes the nutritional value of their feed. I know everyone does it and it`s OK in moderation, but not large amounts. Grass clippings are also questionable as they have been linked to crop binding. Seems there is a big difference in the chicken pulling the grass and just picking up cut grass. Sissy wrote that she gives her fowl dry catfood. Also a big no no. Dry catfood is very high in protein and should only be used in very small amounts as a protein suppliment to their regular feed in stressfull times, like during their moult. Best to stick with a commercial layer feed and give free choice grit and oyster shell. Treats in small amounts. If you don`t believe it, do a search. Lots of info on these subjects.............Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by