Best feed

What is a good feed for guinea chicks
Guinea keets should have a high protein turkey or game bird starter. I feed my keets a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter. Purina makes a 30% protein game bird or turkey startena that is excellent for them. While it is important that they get the high protein, it is not as critical as the other components which are the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that are important to their proper development at an early age.

Guinea keets should have a high protein turkey or game bird starter. I feed my keets a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter. Purina makes a 30% protein game bird or turkey startena that is excellent for them. While it is important that they get the high protein, it is not as critical as the other components which are the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that are important to their proper development at an early age.
I am new to both chickens and guineas. My plan is to raise chicks and keets together. I have seen an equal amount of pro and con to doing this. Guineas can be aggressive I read. Also is 4 months to early to let them free range?

I am new to both chickens and guineas. My plan is to raise chicks and keets together. I have seen an equal amount of pro and con to doing this. Guineas can be aggressive I read. Also is 4 months to early to let them free range?
I do not recommend raising chicks and keets together. Keets that are raised with chicks get imprinted by the chicks. When they grow up they no longer are able to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens. They treat the chickens the same way they treat each other. The chickens do not understand guinea ways and can become extremely stressed. Chickens don't know how to show submission in guinea speak. They do not understand the chases and the attacks and feather pulling from behind.

Everything can seem to be fine until breeding season approaches. Once the guinea hormones kick in it all changes.

It also depends on how many guineas you are getting. Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend that anyone get fewer than ten guineas. Guineas require more "personal" space than do chickens. I raise and house my guineas separate from my other poultry. I am able to allow my guineas and chickens to free range in the same area at the same time with my chickens without any interaction between the guineas and chickens. The guineas keep to themselves as do the chickens.

If by free range at 4 months old you mean that you plan on turning the keets loose without providing secure nighttime housing for them, you should plan on needing to replace them as the predators take them. I lost my entire first flock of guineas to Great Horned Owls because I did not keep them in a secure coop at night.

If you plan on keeping them in a secure coop at night, 4 months is not too young to start free ranging. They will need to be trained to go in the coop in the evening.

I do not recommend raising chicks and keets together. Keets that are raised with chicks get imprinted by the chicks. When they grow up they no longer are able to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens. They treat the chickens the same way they treat each other. The chickens do not understand guinea ways and can become extremely stressed. Chickens don't know how to show submission in guinea speak. They do not understand the chases and the attacks and feather pulling from behind.

Everything can seem to be fine until breeding season approaches. Once the guinea hormones kick in it all changes.

It also depends on how many guineas you are getting. Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend that anyone get fewer than ten guineas. Guineas require more "personal" space than do chickens. I raise and house my guineas separate from my other poultry. I am able to allow my guineas and chickens to free range in the same area at the same time with my chickens without any interaction between the guineas and chickens. The guineas keep to themselves as do the chickens.

If by free range at 4 months old you mean that you plan on turning the keets loose without providing secure nighttime housing for them, you should plan on needing to replace them as the predators take them. I lost my entire first flock of guineas to Great Horned Owls because I did not keep them in a secure coop at night.

If you plan on keeping them in a secure coop at night, 4 months is not too young to start free ranging. They will need to be trained to go in the coop in the evening.
Incidentally, I was born in Rocksprings, Wyo. Parents moved when I was small. Yes I will build a coop with an enclosed 200 sq. Ft. Run. I have been told a light will train the guineas to go in at night.

Incidentally, I was born in Rocksprings, Wyo. Parents moved when I was small. Yes I will build a coop with an enclosed 200 sq. Ft. Run. I have been told a light will train the guineas to go in at night.
A light will not train guineas to go into the coop at night. A light can be helpful if you wait too late in the day to put the guineas int the coop. The light helps because the guineas will not willingly go into a dark area.

They can be trained to go into the coop either by the use of treats or by being herded into the coop. I don't use treats. I herd my guineas into their coop in the evening. Initially I used two long sticks as extensions of my arms to control the direction the guineas went. You have to approach them slowly and move at their pace. If you go too fast, they will fly away from the perceived danger (you). During the training time, I also would herd them into the coop at different times of the day just to get them used to the idea of being herded. It also allows me to easily herd them in now for any number of reasons that don't have anything to do with putting them to bed.

Back
Top Bottom