Best Fermented Grains/Feed for Chickens

Its called Country Junction Hen Scratch. It's wheat, oats and peas - 13.5% protein. I thinks it's only available in western canada.

This is what my trough feeders look like but they usually hang outside. A piece of gutter screwed onto a piece of works too but like to hang mine.

I made a gutter trough and am wondering IF I could hang it like this and it work? Wondering IF the cock roaches could get in it if it's hung like this? I've seen the things in mine and I don't like them being able to get in their feed. :( Just wondering if the gutter would be strong enough to hang? Maybe I could attach a 1x4 under the gutter and that strengthen it? Will have to think about that. :)

I was wondering: it seems any scratch I buy has cracked (broken) pieces of corn in it. Would you know if there is a specific brand I should be looking for? Thank you for your time.

Oh man, I'm in Arizona for Pete's sake! I asked because the fermenting recipe I would like to use calls for scratch that doesn't have the cracked corn in it...... Sheesh. I have a batch started now using some "deluxe blend wild bird food" - friend of mine uses it to sprout so I figured "why not try it?" lol I will let y'all know how that experiment goes...... Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Have a blessed day!

Oh man, I'm in Arizona for Pete's sake! I asked because the fermenting recipe I would like to use calls for scratch that doesn't have the cracked corn in it...... Sheesh. I have a batch started now using some "deluxe blend wild bird food" - friend of mine uses it to sprout so I figured "why not try it?" lol I will let y'all know how that experiment goes...... Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Have a blessed day!
Good idea. You can buy wild bird feed fairly cheap at Tractor Supply. 50# bags.
frow.gif

How did the experiment go? I've been wanting to try this myself.

Hi All, I'm new to this board and I have a few queries about fermented feed for chicks.
I've found a really great sounding organic scratch mix, the typical ingredients are wheat, sorghum, barley, triticale, pearl millet, sunflower seeds, mung beans, corn. All these grains are whole grain not cracked. Would it be ok/good/excellent to ferment this feed?? I'm thinking of giving my chicks this from 2-3 weeks old with their starter grower as well, just as a treat say every second day. Would the corn be too big? Are any detrimental to young chickens? I have auatralorp, sussex, Plymouth rocks. Much appreciated in advance.

You can absolutely ferment your chick starter (nonmedicated). Any commercial feed can be fermented to improve its bioavailability.

I'm having trouble with fermenting my laying pellets or crumbles. Even though I mix some grain, it still turns to mush and won't drain even though there are a ton of holes in bucket. Please any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom