Best Foliage For Hiding

CreativePullet

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi Everybody :frow,
I'm looking for types of plants that chickens can hide in from air predators,look nice,grow fast and can be planted along a fence. I don't know if there are any like this out there but any good suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance:cool:
(P.S If anyone knows wich forum this would belong in that would also be helpful:D)

Hi Everybody :frow,
I'm looking for types of plants that chickens can hide in from air predators,look nice,grow fast and can be planted along a fence. I don't know if there are any like this out there but any good suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance:cool:
(P.S If anyone knows wich forum this would belong in that would also be helpful:D)
What planting zone are you in?
I will request your post be moved to the Gardening forum.

There are tons!
Ok so a quick "What I would do".:p

Knowing most shrubs would lose their leaves I would put some simple benches and maybe tuck an a-frame of plywood open on both ends in between shrubs.
Get creatve, leave no dead ends, only let them range while you can be out there. Seriously, a red tailed hawk came down on my Delaware hen when I stepped inside for literally 30 seconds.

So plants....
Boxwoods
Purple leaf sand cherry
Dogwood

Those are the fast growers that I think would grow in your area.

Lilac (the traditional not the fancy colors) have grown relatively thick and fast for me.

Last edited:
There are tons!
Ok so a quick "What I would do".:p

Knowing most shrubs would lose their leaves I would put some simple benches and maybe tuck an a-frame of plywood open on both ends in between shrubs.
Get creatve, leave no dead ends, only let them range while you can be out there. Seriously, a red tailed hawk came down on my Delaware hen when I stepped inside for literally 30 seconds.

So plants....
Boxwoods
Purple leaf sand cherry
Dogwood

Those are the fast growers that I think would grow in your area.

Lilac (the traditional not the fancy colors) have grown relatively new thick and fast for me.

Thanks!:D I'll check them out! Have any recommendations on where to get any from?

What's a planting zone?:)
And thanks:D
It tells you what type of plant will survive in your area. Look up a map of Wisconsin and find where you are. The zones range from 3 to 5. I am in zone 5 so I could recommend some that I use but if you are in 3, they won't survive.

Back
Top Bottom