1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best grit source

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hungry4eggs, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    I would like to start giving my chicks treats and was wondering the best source of grit and how to be present it. I have sand from setting stone last year and read about tufts of grass. So just seeking more info on what o use and how to give it to them. Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sand might work. TSC type stores and feed stores sell chick grit. It's small granite pieces. They quickly outgrow that size. I don't feed treats till they're much older so I don't use chick grit. If you do, provide it in a separate container as you would grit and oyster shell for adults.
    If they have access to soil with pebbles they may get all they need. I occasionally sprinkle it in the pen because that's how they would get it naturally. Although that isn't as efficient.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Coarse sand is big enough for young chicks to use as grit. I put grit in a small cup and let them self-serve. Some folks sprinkle the grit on the treat.

4. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by