Best guard animal against hawks (besides dogs)???

If you are only going to have hens and no roosters I would suggest a Chu Shamo rooster. They are aggressive against other male so will not work in a flock with males. The grow to be 10-12 lbs and tough as all get out. Not good in northern climate without supplemental heat lamp in winter. He would definitely protect hens but kill every other rooster.

Last edited:
i raised dairy goats, turkeys and had several free range chickens - our protection were wonderful anatolian shepherd dogs. my big boy tank spent most of his day with the kids and poultry and he slept in front of the barn door at night when everyone was fast asleep. we never lost any of our animals to predators. we also had many red-tailed hawks, the anatolian is one of the few guardians who look above for danger to their charges. nothing beats a combination family guardian/working dog. we had them in pairs in our buck pen, doe pen, kid/poultry pen.

I was going to suggest a dog, but the OP stated in her 1-st post "no dogs"
This is why I suggested what worked for me, for my mother and grand-mother;
Noisy metal cans and also... SCARECROW
I took the cans off since I had my LGD now, but the scarecrow is still there...
too lazy to take him off.... :)

I've been researching guardian breeds and the anatolian ranks very highly in this area. Until we have more livestock out in the pasture, though, I don't think we'll be investing in one, as our outside run will be covered as well. I just read something interesting about donkeys..apparently they do really well as guardians.

I've been researching guardian breeds and the anatolian ranks very highly in this area. Until we have more livestock out in the pasture, though, I don't think we'll be investing in one, as our outside run will be covered as well. I just read something interesting about donkeys..apparently they do really well as guardians.
When they talk donkeys they are talking the standard sized jacks not mini's or mediteranian. If you are not used to careing for a horse a donkey is not a good idea. They do work for sheep and goats though I know no one who has them for poultry.

Well, this dang hawk has us scheduled for an every other week visit.
I bang buckets around the entire yard every two hours. I take my dogs out there with me every time. Nothing is detering this hawk. And the dang thing isn't even getting to enjoy it's kill, because I am out there just as it is happening and getting my chicken.
I really don't know why it keeps returning when it continues to be unsuccessful. It is so frustrating!

Our turkey hens are always the first to ID (all the turks hate B2 bombers - fly training runs over house) aerial preds. In the runs we use these to good effect (6 yrs no Red Tails stooping - a lot of Red Tails in area):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44145/hawk-saucer

If free ranging, one is going to get hit, regardless. The single attack we had was some little Kestrel like thing that was almost smaller than the hen it struck (hen got under deck - raptor went elsewhere).

My turkey does a great job of watching for and warning when she see's hawks. The ducks aren't smart enough to listen to her, but the chickens do. I got a pair of goslings recently, I'm hoping they'll help watch out for the ducks when they are older. I wouldn't expect either to actively chase hawks away though, but they make good warning systems.

Well, this dang hawk has us scheduled for an every other week visit.
I bang buckets around the entire yard every two hours. I take my dogs out there with me every time. Nothing is detering this hawk. And the dang thing isn't even getting to enjoy it's kill, because I am out there just as it is happening and getting my chicken.
I really don't know why it keeps returning when it continues to be unsuccessful. It is so frustrating!

It is picture time. Drop bucket and photograph hawk.

Back
Top Bottom