BEST HATCHERY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TATERsmom, Jan 28, 2009.

1. TATERsmom

TATERsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    I am from Louisiana and new to the chicken world.[​IMG] From your experiances what is the best company to order chicks from.(And by best I mainly mean cheap.[​IMG]) I will probably have to do a mail order. I haven't been able to find any local to buy from.I would appreciate any help or advice.[​IMG]

2. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    mt healthy had the best price to me...i have not recieved my chicks yet though....I think they have a good reputation

3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My chicks came from Mt. Healthy (via the local feed store) last spring. They were all active healthy babies and they're now beautiful healthy adults. I thought the prices were very good and I'm planning to order more from them this spring. Friends I work with also ordered theirs the same way and they didn't have any problems either. Good luck to you; I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Well, it depends on what quality of birds you want also. Other than meat birds i dont get any chickens from big hatcheries, i like good quality birds, not just the cheapest.

5. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    One member luvmychix is in LA. I got some chicks, ducks & quail in Dec & all were healthy & strong. You might check w/her. There are more but she's one I have gotten chicks from. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your chickens as much as we all do.

6. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    With the kind of weather the country is experiencing right now, your best bet is to pick the closest hatchery so the poor things aren't in the mail system any longer than they have to be.

You can find a list of hatcheries listed by state here: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_003.htm

I've
    used Privett, Ideal, and McMurray and been happy with all of them. But Ideal is the closest.

Kathy in Texas

(Expecting batams from Ideal tomorrow!)

7. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Your in LA then I would order from Ideal they are in TX. You can order $25 worth in its around 10 chicks.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    If you want cheapest your local feed store would probably be your best bet. We're in central La. - Petrus Feed & Seed keeps baby chicks in stock in the spring & I think there's a feed store in Deville who also does so. However, they are all straight run (both girls & boys; you take what you get).

I ordered my original girls from Meyer hatchery in Ohio but I wasn't concerned about price so much as I wanted only pullets of specific breeds and only a small quantity & they have a small order program. So that worked out well for me.

Also try the La. Market Bulletin--you can google a search for their website; it is published every 2 weeks, there is a section for poultry.

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you want the best meat or egg production only buy from a hatchery or your feed store if they come from a hatchery. Don't buy from backyard breeders. If you want show stock that is a different story.

10. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    [​IMG] Hi TATERsmom...
    I'm from the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area.
    I’ve used mostly Ideal, and McMurray, but have ordered from Privett, Sand Hill and Meyers too . I think Ideal is the cheapest and the closest. Most of the feed stores around here use Ideal. My feed store usually starts getting chicks around the end of Feb beginning of March or close to Easter so check with your feed store they may be getting some soon. My feed store gets both “Pullets” and “St. Run”.
    Mitzi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by