Best Hatchery

nhorrin

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I know this subject has been covered quite often and everyone has their favorite, but I am trying to decide which hatchery is the best to get some chicks in the early spring in northern New Hampshire. I am interested in birds that are cold hardy and will winter well in this cold climate. Having said all this I guess I need advice on a great hatchery as well as the best type of bird for this climate. I intend to keep these birds for my enjoyment and a few fresh eggs. Thanks in advance for the help!

I ordered from 3 hatcherys in the past, Purley Poultry (think they're a middleman), Reich Poultry Farms, and Meyer Hatchery.

Purley Poultry was decent had a very small order of 5 chicks they sent 7, but 2 died within 4-5 months down the road those 2 were the only roosters the other 5 girls lived. Think they died of Mereks but it was my fault for not getting them vac.

Reich Poultry Farms, my father orders roosters from them for meat, there chicks are healthy but they don't grow fast idk why.

Meyer Hatchery, least favorite of the bunch. There chicks are healthy when you get them but after 72 hours they get sick and weak, idk if they just sent me a bad batch of chicks but not ordering from them again.

I just made a pretty big order from McMurrays coming in April, never ordered from them but heard great things. So I can't tell you the best hatchery yet, sorry..

I am interested in birds that are cold hardy and will winter well in this cold climate.

Just about any hen from the group called brown egg layers will be okay because many hens' combs aren't affected. If you intend to hatch your own chickens and keep a rooster, then I wouldn't recommend any with a straight comb or with large wattles.

The Buckeye, with a pea comb and smaller wattles (genetics involved), is a winter-hardy bird and ours have done well this winter, though I only have one hen and she is laying. The rooster is fine without any frostbite.

However, if I lived in your neck of the woods, you better believe I would be contacting Lisa at Mack Hill Farm right away. She's in Marlow 03456, and has Icelandics--chickens from Iceland that do very well in cold weather. I'm not sure if she has a waiting list, but she could. Just do a web search and she'll pop up in the results.

Back
Top Bottom