Best Heating Systems for Ducklings?

sammybrown

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
I am planning to get Buff Orpington Ducklings and I want a good safe heating system that isn’t a heat lamp that burns my coop or house down.

I’m new to ducks and I don’t know what most duck people would say about this but I had the same fear about a fire so I decided to try making a wooly hen. My 3 ducklings did great with it. I was really nervous they would be too cold at first so I checked on them constantly the first couple of days. Every time I would reach in to check on them they were sound asleep and the temperature in the wooly hen was clearly significantly warmer than outside of it. They are 7 weeks old and haven’t had any issues so far. I did keep their brooder inside where I keep the temperature at 69-70F and not out in the coop. The downside was it was a real pain to clean and needed to be cleaned at least daily if not twice daily. Also if you plan to get a large number of ducklings I can see multiple problems with the wooly hen and it might not be a great choice.

I wouldn’t as ducklings instinctually get heat from above as they crawl under their mother. But, I know some people have used wire baskets or mesh to shape a cave and attach a heat mat to the inside with duct tape. Basically they make their own brooder plate.

Back
Top Bottom