Best incubator for a beginner???

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
I'm thinking about getting an incubator and hatching some of my chickens' eggs this winter. What is the best incubator for a beginner? Should I get a small 7 egg one or larger, in case too many don't make it? I've got a home for the chicks - a friend wants to start her own flock.

Genesis Hovabator 1588. It is easy peasy. I've run mine almost constantly since March and have had no problems. This is my second season using it and it has been great.

You plug it in, add eggs and leave it alone (except to turn the eggs). I put a cup of water in to keep my humidity right, but you can also just dump some in the bottom.

Cost is around $150 for the unit without a turner.

I have the Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic turner. My first batch is in there now - they're on day 10 - and I see movememt in 18 out of the 25 eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch! I probably wouldn't have bought the incubator myself, but I mentioned I wanted one - so for my birthday last month, my kids gave it to me. So far, it has been very simple. Of course the hatch is what will make the biggest difference - and that's still 11 days away.

I started with the Brinsea Mini. Easy to use, didn't have to fuss with it much. Helped give me confidence in hatching (and fertility rates with my eggs)

I now have the big Sportsman that holds 197 chicken eggs at a time. Yes, it is an addiction

Back
Top Bottom