Best Incubator for the $$

Drk_Wlf

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Chautauqua County, NY
I am looking at various incubators online and I am having difficulties finding one with all the bells and whistles I want for a decent price. I would like one with an automated egg turner and a fan; an automatic humidity control would be nice as well but I guess I could do without. I have never hatched my own eggs before, but at the rate we seem to be growing I want a larger one (the hubby has already started a list of chickens he wants to get next year). I don't want to buy a small one and within 6mth or so have to buy a bigger one. So I would like some reviews on incubators people have used and where I can purchase them online, or would it be more cost effective to enslave my hubby into building me one?
wink.png

A small group of us were just talking about the sale Brinsea is having (20% off) until September 30th. From all of my research, Brinsea is just top notch. The warranty and customer service, reliability and quality of construction all seem to be the best. Someone was able to find an Octagon 20 Advance on Amazon.com cheaper than the Brinsea site, but with the auto humidity control of the EX model, the site is best.

The King Suro 20 is cheaper than the Octagon 20 Advance EX...apples to apples products really, but I spent the additional amount for the better things I've heard on customer service and longer warranty (2 years compared to 6 months). Also, the Brinsea EX comes with its own humidity container. The Suro requires you to add something (a cup, bottle, some container) to draw water from. I believe there is about a $50-70 difference between them right now. It was worth it to me for those factors.

Also, between the Suro and Brinsea EX, these are things I've found in research:

The interior cabinet of the Suro is larger - More head room for babies, but potentially longer rebound time for temperature upon opening and closing. This may be nominal, but it's worth saying.

Plastic construction of Brinsea is said to be thicker/more substantial and the lid better fitting. Since I don't have both, I cannot confirm, but the lovely BYCer who posted that had both units.

Both units are loved by many on BYC. The Suro is just the new kid on the block, so it might take a while to grow in favor.

As above, the Suro requires another container. I wanted plug and play, stupid proof. Don't make me put a whole lot together, just give me everything I need.

The EX model of the Brinsea will not count down the days for you like the others, also. Not sure about the Suro on this.

The Brinseas come from Florida and England. The Suros are produced in Korea, if I am correct, which has led to some of the customer service issues...calls not returned when messages left at call centers.

I was previously using an LG Still Air and wouldn't even use the thing for a warmer or hatcher. Just awful. Here again, many BYCers have had wonderful successes with them.

I can only tell you that I love my Brinsea! I happened to be one of the unfortunate few who received a defective one when I ordered. However, they repaired it with no problems and I've just had three out of three button quail eggs hatch. The other eggs still have a day or two before hatch.

If I were buying a larger incubator, I'd go with Brinsea as well (I wanted a TINY incubator, so bought the Brinsea Mini Advance.)

I can't compare it to others, only state my happiness so far with this one. I would not have purchased a model that did not have digital controls (bells and whistles) as I want the lowest failed hatch rate possible. I don't want baby problems due to easily avoidable issues like temperature fluctuations and fan problems. I also wanted an auto-turner. The only thing I have to do with this one is monitor humidity. (Well, okay, with this hatch I had to turn eggs, but only because I put in more than the turner could handle.)

I love my Brinsea incubators. Yes, plural. I started with the Brinsea Mini Advance, only holds 7 eggs. Bought a second one, but the higher model EX with the humidity pump. Bought a second Mini Advance EX, then a second Mini Advance. So, I have two with humidity I have to measure and monitor, and two which do it for me. But all four only hold 7 chicken eggs apiece.

I've had four hatches, 6 chicks (one drowned in the water reservoir - will NOT be a problem with the EX models because there's no standing water in those higher versions), 3 chicks, 3 chicks, and 6 chicks.

I now have an Octagon 20 Advance EX, holds 24 chicken eggs. Just set eggs into it 2 days ago, so I cannot report on the hatch yet. But it holds temp and humidity rock steady.

Great digital displays. Easy setting of the controls. EASY to clean after hatches.

Plus, because I've "recently bought several" Brinsea incubators, the CEO of the company e-mailed me to ask what I'm hatching, how my experiences have been, and do I have any stories or photos or suggestions to share with Brinsea?

Now, that's pretty darned cool, doncha think???

I love the products. They are on sale at the Brinsea website for the month of September.

I'll vote for the Hovabator Genesis 1588! I got mine early this year and I've had a grand time with it. It's less fancy than the Brinsea incubators, but it keeps the temperature nice and constant, humidity is easy to control, and I've had great hatches in it. Do a search about it on the forum, you'll see there are tons of people on here that use it and love it.
big_smile.png
It's reasonably-priced, holds forty-some eggs, has an automatic turner and fan, and it's easy to use and learn to use. Definitely well worth looking into.

I hope you find the incubator you want soon! Hatching is definitely a lot of fun, next thing you know you'll be hooked, too!
wink.png

Kemp's Koops (www.poultrysupply.com) has the Hovabator Genesis 1588 with auto turners (that fits chicken to duck eggs with quail egg adapter) and 30 Bobwhite Quail eggs for $176.50, so far that is the best deal I can find. Don't know what I am gonna do with the quails though....

hatch them???

send the eggs to me???
lol.png

is that including shipping???

give me a few mins i think i saw it cheaper for that setup.........

Last edited:
Ive been thinking about a king suro20...Ive read all teh threads from the search section on it and oooh I have alot of eggs to sell to get that one! LOL

Back
Top Bottom