1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best incubator to get for a first-time hatching project?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maus, Feb 10, 2008.

1. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what brand of bator seems to be the easiest to use and monitor for a beginner? I have fertile eggs here and I would like to try incubating them, but I am terrified I will screw it up after reading all the posts about chicks dying, humidity, eggs exploding, eek!
    I certainly dont want to try to build my own but would like to try a fairly reliable brand which has warning indicators of some kind (I dunno, do they make those?) if temps/humidity, etc is not right. [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are cheaper incubators out there but honestly they aren't worth fooling around with in my opinion.

If you can't build your own (check the forum there are several posts on building one) then save your money and buy the better mousetrap, so to speak.

It is my opinion that the GQF HovaBator 1588 with an auto egg turner is the way to go for a beginner.

Edited to add - If you have more money in your budget to spend on an incubator then there are many other good companies and machines to choose from.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep...I agree with MissPrissy get the 1588. I've got 2 of them plus the older version of it, the 1590.

4. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:Thank you. I just ordered it w/the egg turner. I am excited! [​IMG]

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    That's a great bator. I am putting eggs in mine today!

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had the 1602n and it worked pretty well fo rmy first time 50% but go for the 1588 or if you have the cas go for the brower. I had a 98% hatch in the brower and you can put it in the dishwasher. Its not made of styrofoam. Its made of plastic. It comes standars with a fan, turner, and a light the goes on and off to let you know the heat is working fine. Only thing I hate is the sound of the turner

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Glad to hear you like the Brower! I'm getting one, and the dishwasher part was a selling point for me. DH is a neatness freak, and if I can't keep the unit clean I KNOW he won't let me keep it in the house! And I need to keep it in the house for the stable temps...

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am also a neat freak. This incubator was so easy to clean. I know you will love it. if you have any questions on it just PM or email me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by