best incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebeccamariemiller, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    What's the best incubator for 10-20 eggs and under $75?

2. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Anyone?

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, i don't know for sure that it's the best, but the little giant or the hovabator, styrofoam incubators are in that price range, and i have had great results with them. They're simple to use and very functional for someone incubating at home.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

You are likely going to have to bend some on the quality or price range. Also if you want still air or circulating air and if you want an auto turner need to be factored in. How much work do you want to do?

A farm Innovators is not a bad model, and you can get one of those for a bit over $100 with the fan and turner.

5. ClaireAjideh

ClaireAjideh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2014
    I'd say a hovabator over a little giant

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have hatched quite a few chickens in a hovabator, still air, no turner. Sure, it would be nice to have a turner, but once you get your system down, it's pretty effortless, and i have had consistently 90% hatches. For a small hatch, i don't think a hovabator is too big a sacrifice. [​IMG] Just my 3 1/2 cents.

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

My first hatches were in a still air no turner LG. I still use it as a hatcher and incubate in two other incubators now. The "bells and whistles" are not necessary, but a person with a busier schedule who cannot turn them as much as he/she should or would just like the convenience of it may want to have a turner.

My LG it is easily influenced by outside conditions and has to be watched quite closely. My Farm Innovators did not cost too much and is much more reliable and only a little bit past desired price. My best is My Brinsea Octagon 20, but that is way above the desired price range.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. ClaireAjideh

ClaireAjideh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2014
    Wow! Thats a great hatch rate! Are the eggs from your own birds?

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, thanks . It was. :) No issues with losing viability in transport and what not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by